HOLDINGS POTTERY - OSWALDTWISTLE - AUGUST 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time newbie post - the fear is real… so be gentle!

The History
Founded in 1842 by James Holding on a large clay deposit in Lancashire, Holding's Country Pottery dug & processed its very own Clay prior to production. Originally located in Gaulkthorn during 1842 before a move in 1860 to Broadfield, it was in 1900 his son Grimshaw Holding set up the pottery on this present & final site.

It is believed according to Companies House the business, which had been passed down from father to son operated right upto 2010 with no known reason for closure. The Clay was processed in the back before being glazed & fired, then to be sold from Holding's shop out front. It is reported some of the bricks which were used to extend the buildings over the years are to have been made on site in the pottery's very own kilns.

The Explore
Having explored a few other places recently & documented them - I finally decided to use this as my first post. I have seen this site covered several times but one thing that was so apparent from my visit was just now much nature is taking back its environment - which is why & what I really wanted to show with this quaint old Pottery company.

Very relaxed explore - two houses situated either side but surrounding fields allow easy access where you will be left to enjoy the urban decay at your own pace. The place has been very much ransacked & the structure is certainly fighting to stand up - without doubt care should be taken but as for now it is still very explorable. Quite a small explore but lots of details that can be easily missed - very full of character with some pretty interesting machinery left.

The Photography...

DJI_0321.jpg

DSC01022.jpeg
DSC01018.jpeg
DSC00999.jpeg
DSC00987.jpeg
DSC00962.jpeg
DSC00957.jpeg
DSC00948.jpeg
DSC00929.jpeg
DSC00928.jpeg
DSC00874.jpeg
DSC00861.jpeg
DSC00831.jpeg
DSC00813.jpeg
DSC00781.jpeg
DSC00776.jpeg
DSC00764.jpeg
DSC00656.jpeg
DSC00652.jpeg
DSC00632.jpeg
DSC00615.jpeg
DSC00608.jpeg
DSC00392.jpeg
DSC00308.jpeg
DSC00301.jpeg
DSC00219.jpeg

Thankyou for reading
Paul :)

First time newbie post - the fear is real… so be gentle!

The History
Founded in 1842 by James Holding on a large clay deposit in Lancashire, Holding's Country Pottery dug & processed its very own Clay prior to production. Originally located in Gaulkthorn during 1842 before a move in 1860 to Broadfield, it was in 1900 his son Grimshaw Holding set up the pottery on this present & final site.

It is believed according to Companies House the business, which had been passed down from father to son operated right upto 2010 with no known reason for closure. The Clay was processed in the back before being glazed & fired, then to be sold from Holding's shop out front. It is reported some of the bricks which were used to extend the buildings over the years are to have been made on site in the pottery's very own kilns.

The Explore
Having explored a few other places recently & documented them - I finally decided to use this as my first post. I have seen this site covered several times but one thing that was so apparent from my visit was just now much nature is taking back its environment - which is why & what I really wanted to show with this quaint old Pottery company.

Very relaxed explore - two houses situated either side but surrounding fields allow easy access where you will be left to enjoy the urban decay at your own pace. The place has been very much ransacked & the structure is certainly fighting to stand up - without doubt care should be taken but as for now it is still very explorable. Quite a small explore but lots of details that can be easily missed - very full of character with some pretty interesting machinery left.

The Photography...

I'm well chuffed to see this place is still standing....just, was one of my first explores this and its sadly looking worse for wear.
The guy in the house near the road used to get all shouty with folk going here.
From the first shot you must be very tall 🤔

Nice work and welcome along to the forum

I'm well chuffed to see this place is still standing....just, was one of my first explores this and its sadly looking worse for wear.
The guy in the house near the road used to get all shouty with folk going here.
From the first shot you must be very tall 🤔

Nice work and welcome along to the forum
Thankyou!!!

I think its the walking boots... great for adding extra height.. not so great for trying to climb up a waist height wall in! It looks really diff from the previous posts id seen so I think its starting to succumb to the elements - inside quite a few of the ceilings are bowing down in sections from what looks like water build up/weight.

I think I know who mean... first time I went him, his wife & kid were all in the garden but I took the longer way around each time walking past his house so I think I got away with it!.

This was an amazing place with all the personal items all over. We went in through a gap in the fence but someone must be watching because when we were finished and tried to get back through - someone had come out and repaired the gap locking us in! Was a much more difficult exit. But no-one around as we did so to have a go at us. Very strange. Mysterious gate keeper....

Back