HORNCLIFFE MANSION - EDENFIELD - NOV 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The History…
Built in 1869 as a home for Mr Henry Hoyle Hardman, Horncliffe Mansion in Edenfield has stood for over 100 years & survived two world wars - the Grade II listed building has been left sadly to decay & is now just an empty shell. Henry Hardman owned Hardman Mill in Newhallhey, he was the son of George Hardman who was the original builder of Oakhill house in Rossendale. The Hardman family lived in the property until 1903 when the house was purchased by Myrtle Grove Mill owner Roland Rawlinson.

The house was used as a care home during the 1980s until 1993 when it was purchased & turned into a hotel/wedding venue. At the rear of the building, a large story function room was added to accommodate weddings & events. Behind the mansion also sits a once beautiful cottage & barn along with a collection of disused classic cars including several Jaguar & Mini Models.

Although no longer listed here you can see a previous listing of the property for sale for £500,000 - some of the pictures actually show a “better” state of the inside: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/26528280#/?channel=COM_BUY

During recent years investors have tried to bring the house back to its former glory, a planning application to turn the property back to residential status was submitted but still this vast mansion stands empty. On 28th August 2019 - Fire Fighters were called early in the morning & spent most of the day extinguishing a fire which destroyed the remaining roof & interiors leaving this property unusable.

The Explore…
Up to recently the site was patrolled by onsite security & is still monitored via patrol that comes around every few hours/once a day it seems. Access isn’t an issue & all in all this is a very relaxed explore especially around the back of the property at the old car graveyard. Access to the main house is still possible due to the open window frames but there really is nothing left inside bar collapsed beams. The site is very overgrown so if you decide to take a visit in the summer.. get ready to battle the nettles!. Although the mansion is a write off exploring wise the cars certainly make it worth it.

The Photography...
tempImagebqqCwG.png
tempImagehOPDyQ.png
tempImageRdApxa.png
tempImageMF843P.png
tempImage6UCxLR.png
tempImageN5Idok.png
tempImageUQJ3Od.png
tempImagevO1pPX.png
tempImageQOe1xW.png
tempImagezDF2aC.png
tempImage2AgrIs.png
tempImageanKxCf.png
tempImage6PBCjq.png
tempImage6nXTDf.png
tempImageXZMLOp.png
tempImageeLJ12k.png
tempImage7MWqA3.png
tempImagekne5Qa.png
tempImageYaCG8x.png
tempImageBq2xuw.png
tempImage5XmoqH.png
tempImage5ztV1O.png
tempImageF8Ncts.png
tempImageYTGnun.png
tempImagebQDE6D.png
tempImageuL4ow9.png
tempImageeWVk55.png
tempImagevP7Q2Z.png
tempImagezq3jek.png
tempImageQBMyw5.png

Thankyou for reading & enjoy the Decay!
:)

An explorer has just messaged me saying he tried going back to this one recently but it has full on CCTV now? Odd to do that only after it's already wrecked.

An explorer has just messaged me saying he tried going back to this one recently but it has full on CCTV now? Odd to do that only after it's already wrecked.
Yeah it us odd, but maybe it's changed owners or they have had someone hurt their self there prompting them to do it.
Either way there will b a way round them u can b sure

It’s had security on & off for the whole time I think… I know the first time I went a van turned up as I was leaving & sat there for 15 min. Second time there was actually someone on site in a porter cabin & there was fencing around the edge. But it’s still very accessible let’s say that much… it’s also seems the main focus is on the mansion which is no surprise how collapsed it is inside & people still go in there, especially for paranormal filming it seems.

There is a house next to it though which I believe is prone to calling the police if they catch people entering the grounds but I’ve personally never had any issues there.

Back