Hotel Harasov, Czech republic 0715

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignickb

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
While on my holiday in the Czech Republic, we went for a drive to take in some scenery, my friend told me of an old hotel that was derelict and probably inaccessible. The latter two words have been contradicted many times by me over the years and the challenge was accepted! After pulling myself through a flimsy fence I was confronted by this extraordinary sight; it was well hidden in the overgrowth and I kicked myself for not bringing the rest of my camera gear. I shot it hand held and that worked ok. The place is a ruin and pretty dodgy in areas, just like in the UK - it had been Pikied for metals and there was some grafitti.

The history:
Along the river Pšovka, wider sections were created and called the Harasovské pools - named after the nearby castle. It was a popular holiday spot for bathers throughout the summers of the final years of the 19th century.
The owner of the estate - Prince Frederick Lobkowicz decided to build a hotel on the banks to attract more tourists, the task was given to mělnická company builder Karel Novak. The design incorporated a curve that matched the shore of the nearby lake and a small suspension bridge that crossed to the sandstone rocks at the rear. From there you could walk up the hill to enjoy the splendour of the Czech countryside, if swimming wasn't your thing! Completion was in July 1912, it was also advertised as a hunting lodge to attract people from Prague.
The first floor had ten rooms, five on the second and two on the ground along with bar, a kitchen and a reading room. Stables were adjoining and even some spaces for the new emerging motor cars. There were plans to expand with pavilions and a playground, but they were never constructed.
Following Nationalisation, it became a recreation centre but after the Velvet Revolution sent the Russians packing in 1989 - it remained empty and slid into ruin.
To return it to a working establishment again will cost £1 million, which is a Lot of money in Czech economic terms.

How it looked in 1925:
1056984_10152552978786377_2146171091_n_zpsgeyqyzjm.jpg

Today:
_DSC8198b_zpstzzcuv2v.jpg

_DSC8186b_zpschyvg04o.jpg

_DSC8184b_zpsjksiwcyr.jpg

_DSC8178b_zpszvngzhfn.jpg

_DSC8168b_zpsuruovbgr.jpg

_DSC8165b_zpstfzdljnr.jpg

_DSC8159b_zpss125xpzm.jpg

_DSC8153b_zps6rqbwon6.jpg

Where the bridge was:
_DSC8145b_zpsawhl196p.jpg

Guest room:
_DSC8142b_zps9euz1mnm.jpg

Balconies with a view of the lake 1:
_DSC8141b_zpsi2y93flu.jpg

2: _DSC8140b_zpskduw1zvm.jpg

_DSC8136b_zpsfkkqpvha.jpg

Rock face at the back:
_DSC8133b_zpspntlpvjd.jpg

Ground and first floor - minus floor:
_DSC8121b_zpsgx7auxd0.jpg

Main terrace:
_DSC8119b_zpsvzgmou3z.jpg

_DSC8118b_zps8sr6c9r2.jpg

_DSC8114b_zpsbmlb9wbx.jpg

_DSC8110b_zpsr3gecsul.jpg

_DSC8109b_zpssax7g2ni.jpg

That's well hidden compared to the original picture.just shows how quickly nature takes over.nice one though and something a bit different.

Latest posts

Back