How to Use the New Software

Help Support Derelict Places:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
We found an issue with the mail that sends the Yesterday Forum Activity. You should have received it over night since the issue was found and fixed about 8 am Central USA time.

Hayman

Reaction score
Likewise - I am no longer receiving "yesterday's forum activity". What should I do?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
@Mearing and @Hayman I've tried something with your accounts to see if that will cause the "Yesterday's Forum Activity" email to send to you again. Please let me know if you do or do not receive it over night.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still nothing! I must say that the old site was better, thanks for trying tho'.
Na this one is far above the old one, photos upload easier and the site is better to navigate. Are you sure you have ticked that you want updates . Is your firewall stopping them? and is you email address right.

Mearing

Reaction score
Na this one is far above the old one, photos upload easier and the site is better to navigate. Are you sure you have ticked that you want updates . Is your firewall stopping them? and is you email address right.
All the things you flag up are as before and remain unchanged. Site may be better in some ways but not at my end! As I didn't upload photos due to mobility issues. I can't agree that I find it better. However I shall persevere in the hope that I can continue to access the contributions made by others.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
@Mearing I am kicking this up to the head tech that can check the mail server for your email. I had tried something I had hoped would work.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I have just received confirmation that @Mearing and @Hayman that your emails have been added back to the subscription to the "Yesterday's Forum Activity" email.

psykie

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make it so that when I click on a thread, it starts at the first post?

I can imagine it skipping to the last post I read as making sense but it just jumps to the last even on threads I've never opened then have to get all the way back to the top. Very annoying.

Hugh Jorgan

Veteran Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem but I think the problem lies in that I'm using Google Chrome web browser. I don't know if the same thing occurs when using Firefox or Edge web browsers. Sometimes the forum crashes and I've got to restart the computer and forum.

psykie

Reaction score
I use Edge (based on chromium like Chrome), I thought it was just because I use New posts bookmarked and maybe the software sent me to the end for it being "new posts" but it happens browsing the forum regularly too, sometimes it works as expected but not very often.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The software will take you to the post you have not seen. It is recorded in the cookies. If you clear your cookies when you log out then when you log back in you will see the first post of a thread you go to.

But I do find it interesting that you want to see the first post of of a thread each time you login and go to a thread.

psykie

Reaction score
The software will take you to the post you have not seen. It is recorded in the cookies. If you clear your cookies when you log out then when you log back in you will see the first post of a thread you go to.

But I do find it interesting that you want to see the first post of of a thread each time you login and go to a thread.

The problem is, it doesn't seem to work like that for me (or another forum using this software, forums.freebsd.org).

So for example, this thread made today: Recently Closed Hospital — Power On Everything left behind. Pic Heavy | Derelict Places - Urban Exploring Forum
I have never clicked on but when I navigate from New posts it takes me straight to this post: Recently Closed Hospital — Power On Everything left behind. Pic Heavy | Derelict Places - Urban Exploring Forum (3)

So it's not that I want to start at the beginning every time, it's just that 99% of the time I click on something I have never opened before and have to go out of my way to actually see the start. I thought maybe it was third party cookies but there appears none, maybe something in my custom dns is causing an issue blocking something. No idea - I'm going to assume the software sends me to the end on purpose because its newest post but it seems backwards to me.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
If you click on newest post that's what you're going to see. If you go to a forum and click on a title you've not opened before, it will go to the first post. If you've read it before, it will go to the first post you have not seen.

Hayman

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but if I copy and paste text it sometimes appears on the forum in Bold, even though it is not so on the Word document it comes from. Highlighting it and clicking on the B in the forum toolbar does not reset it as normal text. Any ideas, please.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
@Hayman. I've never heard or seen that. Can you copy and paste something in a post on this thread?

Hayman

Reaction score
@Hayman. I've never heard or seen that. Can you copy and paste something in a post on this thread?

Hullo Angie,

I copied and pasted your reply yesterday to my Derelict Places Word file, then copied and pasted it back here - and this is what has happened: @Hayman. I've never heard or seen that. Can you copy and paste something in a post on this thread?

Now the text has returned to Normal! The problem began when I found an item on the RAF Watton website about the Welbeck Estate Group and I wanted to copy and paste it in response to the other posts. It is quite long, but puts another angle to the project that I feel deserves reading.

I have now managed to copy and paste the RAF Watton piece on the relevant thread without it being in Bold, but I had to retype my own comments for them to appear in Normal.

There are few things worse than a fault that cannot be repeated, and is intermittent.

Latest posts