Hownes Gill Quarry, Co. Durham - May 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigLoada

Visited with Sausage. This is a sandstone quarry worked using the board and pillar system. Can't find any history at the moment on it but it is quite impressive apart from the horrible graffiti.

The height of the outside part is about 70 feet and is used by climbers.
Internally it is in very bad condition. Some examples of stone engraving were found including including some bizarre religious quotes carved into the stone.

A very nice day out.

Picture036.png

Picture041.png

Picture049.png

Picture052.png

Picture051.png

Picture056.png

Picture059.png

Picture058.png

Outside
Picture066.png

Part of an old tub
Picture069.png

It was a great day out BigLoada. :) I still cringe when I think about those loose rocks in the roof. Remember the French couple?? :mrgreen:

Love that outside shot of the strata and the inside one with large slabs (pic 4). Excellent photos and a very interesting quarry. Like the religious carvings too. :)

what an excellent explore,did you find out how far it goes ? depth ect .

That was it! It doesn't go far in as it was only the edges they quarried. If it had went further we would have been in there!

I also remember the tool marks left by the original workers. The drill holes they did by hand were quite vivid and looked almost new.
I think the workings only went in about 30 feet or so.

That looks a great, if somewhat scary, place to visit. Nice pics too.

Its actually in a very beautiful area of lush woodland. The temp was about 27c and it was a really pleasant place, apart from the graffiti.

Latest posts

Back