Hubberston Fort (Pic Heavy?)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godzilla73

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Another absolutely monster Pembrokeshire fort that myself,Fluffy and Newage did in the not too distant past. A bit like Scovestone, this never really saw the action for which it was intended, but at least you can actually see what it was meant to defend (i.e. Milford Haven). Looking at it from the bay it looks pretty impregnable though with the batteries and casemates looking out towards the estuary and a defended barracks at the back.
IMG_1487.jpg

Looking along the inner wall of the casemates
IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Inside the casemates
IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

The square in the floor is obviously something to do with the gun emplacement, but we couldn't work out what
IMG_1511.jpg

The magazines are a real warren, with some massive magazine and shifting rooms
IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

A bit of a climb takes you up to the open battery where you can look across the remaining barbettes. You can see the shell hoist from up here too
IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

A walk up the hill behind the battery takes you up to the defended barrack, which is huge. The only fortification that I suspect comes close to it in size (of this era anyway) is the Drop Redoubt in Dover.
IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Inside the defended barrack are a set of about 16-20 two story casemates. Most of the stairs connecting the two floors have gone but there are a few left. You can also see the drawbridge pulleys on the inside of the main entrance.
IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Just by the inside entrance to the fort there is a caponier that runs out to two powder magazines. The access is filled with rubble, but a bit of effort takes you down to a nicely arched entrance to them.
IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Quite simply - an epic explore. Fluff and Newage will have more photos soon, I'm sure
GDZ :)

That's probably the most comprehensive report I've seen from here...fantastic site, and didn't realise the half of it! :mrgreen:
Nice one, GDZ. Looking forward to the other pics too. :)

NICE ONE GODZY !!!
Didn't waste much time in posting this lot up did'ya !! Glad to see the shots came out well -despite the weather !! Was great to see you mate,you added a touch of class to our explore !!:)

Back