Imperial Whisky Distillery, Scotland - November 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alir147

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This was a fun explore! :cool: My first derelict whisky distillery! Access is interesting and made harder by locals on the lookout for copper thieves! The site closed down in the early 90's so it was good to see some "natural decay" as well!

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn157.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn149.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn004.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn033.jpg

trying a bit of pink! :? Inside the monster "mashtun"! The guys thought it would be fun to lock me in it whilst I was taking photos! :lol: It's literally a huge copper dome with this big spikey revolving arm which would have at one point, mixed up the "mash".

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn082.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn084.jpg

Roof access!
IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn113.jpg

Peely paint
IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn060.jpg

Engineers drawings
IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn042.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn123.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn132.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn126.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn100.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn139.jpg

IMPERIALDISTILLERYAn029.jpg

I've been on 2 tours of live distilleries, both 3 years ago.

The brass cabinet held the alcohol measuring equipment for testing the output of the stills.

It's locked because it's set up by HMCE to make sure all the readings are accurate.

Nice stuff Ali.

The thing to do in these places is not to press any buttons I believe :mrgreen:

Nice stuff Ali.

The thing to do in these places is not to press any buttons I believe :mrgreen:

yeah!! :D as there's a constant background humming that makes you think things might happen!

Just as well they didn't switch that mashtun on when i was locked in it! :exclaim:

Alir147 - coming to a bottle of whisky near you!

What a fabulous explore, eh! Loads of interesting stuff to see...love those huge copper vats and the big wooden tubs. Excellent pics, Alir. :)

What a place, totally un-chavved!Did you aquire any of the Whisky?

Nice pics Ali. It really is a crazy place! We had an old codger in one of the cottages watching our every move, so we had to get "creative" about our entry point. Once inside, it is amazing how every sound is amplified. Especially when a part of the roof fell down on Zimbob.:p

Really is a cool explore. RJGUK did a pretty cool video and Peroxide (I believe) went pressing buttons,and turned on some machinery. That made me chuckle!:mrgreen:

Great photo's again Ali! Looks like a brilliant site. My dad gave my son (who's only 18 months old) A bottle of Whisky from this place for his Christmas last year. Gordon & McPhail in Elgin still have some casks and the bottled one cask at the end of last year. I think there were 300 bottles from the cask but i could be wrong.

'Tis a cool place, loads to see here :)

Big thanks to Alir147 for the heads-up on this one!

Looks like a few folk have been here :mrgreen:

imperialdistellerytomatinrocando-24.jpg

Probably be a few more names if the pen was better...
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great place to explore. Would love to do one if I ever get the chance, looks really interesting. Don't like whiskey though :sick: Well done nice explore, report and pics :mrgreen::mrgreen:

This is the type of place I would love to see! Great to see the stills intact.

it is a wonderfull place to go and visit so unspoilt and a great drive as well

Back