Institute of Grasslands and Environmental Research

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maramotus

Reaction score
I found this place by looking on a local map and asking around several years ago, but didn't get around to visiting until last summer, and have been a few times since. It is affectionately known as "Grasslands", "GRI", "AGRI", or "IGER".

100_2377.jpg

Unfortunately, recently I have discovered a news article reporting on a large fire at the site. Previously there had not been any fire damage, only many broken windows, graffiti, dismantled furniture and fly-tipped waste, as you would expect. I will return soon to evaluate. I believe this was in the part of the building where records and files were stored, so they may all be lost to posterity now. It is probable that the local college, not far down the road and which owns much land in the area, is the source of its woes.

100_3193.jpg

The Grasslands Institute, I am led to believe, researched crop performance and animal feed. There was a farm attached to the institute, further up the lane, but this has been converted to housing and is inaccessible. The institute moved most of its activities to Wales and closed this site in 1992. At least part of the buildings were in use by a company called Chelton Electrostatics until 2001 (assumed from documents I have recovered there). Since then, the site has been left derelict and fenced off, although by no means secure.

100_3268.jpg

There are a couple of maintenance tunnels, running alongside the central heating pipes to the boiler room, although nothing very exciting. There is easy access to the roof of the building, at the top about 4 stories high, with pleasant views of the Thames Valley! And there are a few filing cabinets still dotted around with papers varying from planning applications to waste disposal records, and leaflets about cereals and livestock. Otherwise, it's fairly bare and the rooms are empty - besides fire equipment, some interesting green objects, toilets and the like. A good wander around takes no more than two hours.

100_3686.jpg

It has been the subject of an ongoing planning argument - the local "Barratt-equivalent" Michael Shanly has ended up in possession of the site, and wants to build houses. The locals want to see it retained as designated employment space so to speak. I believe that the local council is supportive of an office park built here, and that this may be sometime very soon. So it won't be there for much longer I guess.

100_3803.jpg

More photos available on request!

100_3823.jpg

Latest posts

Back