Isle of May- August 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardB

Reaction score
My son and I visited in August, one day after the last puffin had buggered off to sea. Earlier in the year the island is practically carpeted with puffins.

The Isle of May is a small, almost uninhabited, island in the Firth of Forth. I was going to post a potted history but the NLB do it better than I could.

Although most visitors see it as a nature reserve there is a lot of evidence of human occupation.

Hols064.png

Approaching the island.

Hols073.png

This lighthouse is still in use, but has been worked remotely since 1989. Until 1972 the keepers lived in the lighthouse.

Hols074.png

The first lighthouse. I believe it was once double the height. This was basically a big fire at the top of the tower.

Hols079.png

One of many caves on the south side of the island.

Hols084.png

The Low Light. This was used in conjunction with the main lighthouse to allow sailors to avoid the North Carr rock. It was superseded by the North Carr Lightship which I believe has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Hols086.png

One of the thousands of feathered inhabitants. I don't care what anybody says, I like seagulls.

Hols089.png

The lighthouse again, and two of the hundred visitors.

Hols091.png

Another view of the Low Light

Hols096.png

This is all that's left of the Island, a ship that ran aground in the 1930s. There were remains of another wreck until a few years ago. I took this picture through my binoculars, can you tell?:lol:

Hols093.png

The same picture taken with the camera alone on full zoom.

Hols099.png

One of two foghorns. My son wanted the horn to go off and scare the seagull.

Hols105.png

The path went over this.:eek:

Hols109.png

Reservoir tanks and pipework for the foghorns. The pipes ran the full length of the island.

Hols110.png

I'm not sure what this was for, maybe it was a fresh water supply.

Hols121.png

The compressors for the foghorns must have been in there somewhere, along with generators to run the lighthouse.

Hols125.png

Taken from the boat just before we left.

Hols132.png

I think this was an attempt to photograph a seal. They bob up and down like those "whack-a-crab" machines.

Hols150.png

Another of the many caves. I'm sure the Famous Five were hiding from smugglers in one of them.

The Isle of May is well worth a visit. It's not particularly cheap (£17 for an adult) but it's worth the money. It really is a magical place, which I probably haven't managed to convey in my photos. My pictures were taken hurriedly on a point-and-squirt camera because there is a lot to see in a limited time. If you want to see puffins go earlier in the year than I did.

It'll have to be next year now.:) Booking is advisable, especially in the summer. There are 100 seats on the boat but they can go quite quickly.

The water in the first cave shot look rather inviting. If only I didn't know it would be freezing.

What a great place. :) I expect it smells a lot of bird poo but the relics there outweigh any nasty smells. Loving the air pipes and reservoirs for them. The big lighthouse building is fab. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thats a grand place ...I especially like the old 'low' lighthouse....make a gorgeous little holiday home that would....You can bet on what its like there in a damn good winter storm though!!

What a great place. :) I expect it smells a lot of bird poo but the relics there outweigh any nasty smells. Loving the air pipes and reservoirs for them. The big lighthouse building is fab. Thanks for sharing. :)
Not just any bird poo, poo from birds who eat nothing but fish.:sick: You only notice when you first arrive though, as you say there is plenty to take your mind off it. I'd completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Thanks.:lol:

:lol: I thought of the Famous Five as soon as you mentioned puffins.
Great looking place with lots to see. Cheers :)
You might be thinking of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Adventure-3/dp/0330448366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223665205&sr=8-1"]The Sea of Adventure[/ame]. The first time I went there it reminded me of that book and I read it again. Blyton's characters were always having to hide from smugglers and being marooned when said smugglers smashed their boats. Usually they solved the smashed boat problem when Timmy found a secret tunnel to the mainland, or they stole the smugglers' boat. You can easily imagine that sort of thing going on here.

Thats a grand place ...I especially like the old 'low' lighthouse....make a gorgeous little holiday home that would....You can bet on what its like there in a damn good winter storm though!!
It's actually occupied, you are politely requested to go no closer than where I took the picture from. You can see their clothes airer in one of the pics. I believe it's ornithologists that live there but I don't know if they are there all year round.

Do you think this is where Urbexers go for their holidays?

Pretty much like wintering in my house, I'd imagine. Perched on the edge of a cliff as I am. ;)

Back