Keil Hotel, Southend, Argyll

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost

Reaction score
Unfortunately only outside pics of this one. Once I got closer to it, the 'un' dropped as I saw how wrecked it was - I don't think there were any floors left, and all the lower windows were well secured so I neglected to find out...
It's been closed for a mere 18 years, in 1992 the owners got permission to install a pitched roof which might have saved it, but it was never built.
Just before WW2 started, Captain James Taylor, a retired farmer, saw his recently built, 28-bedroomed hotel requisitioned by The Admiralty to be used as a hospital. It wouldn't return to him until 1947, ten years after it was built by these plucky chaps...
1131.photo.jpg

Picture181Small.jpg

Picture174Small.jpg

Picture173Small.jpg

No floors
Picture171Small.jpg

Picture169Small.jpg

Bricked up main entrance

Picture166Small.jpg

Picture165Small.jpg

Tennis courts

Last edited:
I spotted this place on the Secret Scotland site and it looked so inviting, and was just thinking about it this very morning (perhaps I subliminally noticed your report). It looked like a good site to explore.

And now I know it's no longer worth the detour. Thanks for putting up a disappointing exploration if only to save others a repeat of your disappointment.

However, I'm wondering: perhaps the facade is structurally sound? Maybe moot, though, as it's so remote for a hotel that size.

Nice one :)

I love this kind of Modernist/Deco architecture, grew up in an Deco villa :)

Shame it's so far gone, but still an attractive facade.

I spotted this place on the Secret Scotland site and it looked so inviting, and was just thinking about it this very morning (perhaps I subliminally noticed your report). It looked like a good site to explore.

And now I know it's no longer worth the detour. Thanks for putting up a disappointing exploration if only to save others a repeat of your disappointment.

However, I'm wondering: perhaps the facade is structurally sound? Maybe moot, though, as it's so remote for a hotel that size.

Doing a bit of searching, I found out that it was quite popular in its day, even up to the closure.
I don't know how the facade's doing, casting my untrained eye over it, it looked structurally OK with no cracking or subsidence.

It was most unplanned, I got up in the middle of the night and just took off for 3 days because I couldn't be hacked going to work the next day and felt like going somewhere 'different'. No more job though, unsurprisingly.:lol:

Im so glad Ive seen your report on this place, saves me the petrol and trip down the windy roads. Place looks nice but I was thinking that it might be cool inside too.

Keil Hotel Alive Again ???

Nice one :)

I love this kind of Modernist/Deco architecture, grew up in an Deco villa :)

Shame it's so far gone, but still an attractive facade.

Just a quick update.

As of January 2010 the derelict Keil Hotel has been bought by Southend local Mr Donnie McLean from the previous East Kilbride based Anne Stewart.

Donnie bought Dunaverty Boathouse ruin across the way about fifteen years ago, and made a great job of restoration.

He then bought the adjacent small detached building next to the old Keil Hotel ruin which used to be part of the original hotel complex (the wee building was initially a generator house - the Keil was one of the first buildings to have electricity in the 1930's here; then used as a mortuary). Donnie McLean has graduated from owning the small building at the side to the big hotel itself. As a former owner, I can comment that because of a botched roof job, the leaks rotted the wooden floors. However, the masonary part of the structure is still relatively unscathed so if you look at this as almost a newbuild, Mr McLean is halfway there. Only has the roof, floors and windows to put on and in!

Good luck to him.

Cheers,

DD.

Thanks for the update, will be interesting to see what he makes of it.
Most restorations like this are pretty much 'new builds', building what amounts to another building inside the shell of an old one.

Latest posts

Back