Kinley Hill, County Durham, Chain Home Low Station

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
First off I will say sorry in advance because this is going to be pic heavy again...This is the other site I did on Saturday but at the time I had no idea what I was looking at. After some investigation (although there is bugger all on the t'internet about it) I found that it is Kinley Hill Chain Home Low radar station. There are still a few goodies left although making sense of them took some time and working out. The accommodation side of the site is very overgrown and the power house has frequent visitors, although they were out at the time I visited they can't have been too far away because there makeshift cooker was still warm and the smell of smoke was still very strong. This has been on my to do list for a long time but back then, from the main road, I thought I was just looking at a farm building. Enough of the babble time for some pics...

First off a map of the site

chain%252520home%252520low.jpg

I started off at the Identity Friend or Foe building (IFF)

DSCF5614.jpg

DSCF5620.jpg

DSCF5621.jpg

mast base

DSCF5616.jpg

DSCF5618.jpg

next I came to what would have been the transmitter/receiver house sadly it has been either demolished or has fallen in on itself

DSCF5624.jpg

DSCF5625.jpg

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5626.jpg

The generator and out buildings

DSCF5628.jpg

DSCF5629.jpg

DSCF5630.jpg

DSCF5633.jpg

DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5635.jpg

DSCF5648.jpg

The roc post from the generator building (report here [ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=19483[/ame])

DSCF5636.jpg

The accomodation side of the site

what I am surmising is a water resevouir due to the sloping sides

DSCF5649.jpg

DSCF5690.jpg

DSCF5691.jpg

Whats that sticking out the greenery

DSCF5651.jpg

can you tell what it is yet lol

DSCF5652.jpg

DSCF5655.jpg

ohhhh that's what it is

DSCF5656.jpg

DSCF5660.jpg

DSCF5663.jpg

remains of a bed frame

DSCF5659.jpg

The rest of the site was covered in building bases and steps. Here are just a few of them

DSCF5666.jpg

DSCF5668.jpg

DSCF5671.jpg

DSCF5672.jpg

DSCF5675.jpg

DSCF5684.jpg

DSCF5686.jpg

Well there we have it, hope I haven't bored you too much

Cheers Jon

Nice one mate Good to see it aint just lozenges up this end :)

you get sick of doing lozenges don't you, mind you at one time I was sick of type 22's as well. It's just nice to mix it up a bit. From the main road the IFF building looked like a two story pillbox so that was my target for the day but as you can see it turned out to be something altogether different

Tell you what, i'll swap you 2x standard and 3x double 28's for six assorted lozenges !!! Deal ????:) Another excellent little explore young Johnnies - you have been a busy little boy haven't you !! Incidently i was down in darkest Kent t'other day (a friend has just bought a new house twixt Asford and Rye ) and MAN is there some stuff around there !! Managed to see (from a distance Rye Chain Home, which looks do-able) as well as call in at the old accommodation site down the road which is now a derelict craft centre !! And when i get time off work i'll post on a site at Burmarsh for which i can find no gen at all !!

Tell you what, i'll swap you 2x standard and 3x double 28's for six assorted lozenges !!! Deal ????:) Another excellent little explore young Johnnies - you have been a busy little boy haven't you !! Incidently i was down in darkest Kent t'other day (a friend has just bought a new house twixt Asford and Rye ) and MAN is there some stuff around there !! Managed to see (from a distance Rye Chain Home, which looks do-able) as well as call in at the old accommodation site down the road which is now a derelict craft centre !! And when i get time off work i'll post on a site at Burmarsh for which i can find no gen at all !!

If I can be of assistance in your quest for info mate let me know

Latest posts

Back