Knackered old army tanks

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coal Cutter

Reaction score
Hello folks, my friend and i recently went above ground and found these tanks. I do not know anything about tanks so sorry I cannot give info even though I tried reseacrh. Goggle was not being my pal that day :( Anyway.. these are used as targets as they are on a live MOD bombing range but it was a bank holiday and all the nice soldiers must have been having a lie in or down the pub that day. So here is some pictures. Sorry if this is not an appropriate report, I know they are not buildings or places but I think some of you people like things like this...

I think this is what they used in Northern Ireland
18c3fed0.jpg

I do not know what this is, someone told me it was something called a Self-propelled Gun:
2940770a.jpg

1ce034dc.jpg

Looks like they had a nasty accident with this one!
0101512e.jpg

Close up details of big holes, I assume they are from gun bullets:
04a243c5.jpg

And the last one:
5bb29462.jpg

I bet someone knows what these things are, thanks for looking and best wishes :)

Hey thanks guys, I knew some of you would know what these were! Brilliant cheers :) Any idea what that big tank is in the last pic?

I think that last one might be an old chieftain. Its pretty mashed so its hard to tell, but the back end looks like it might be. Someone else on here will know for definite though!

the last 2 are def Chieftains but what Mk I haven't a clue...good stuff anyways! where's the range?

Looks to have hinges both sides of the commander's cupola, which would suggest a split hatch, which was only found on MK 1 Chieftains. Also it appears to only have one periscope for the commander which also suggests a very early model, and I can't see a lighting box either.

Bit sad seeing the chieftains so destroyed, I work on a great example of this vehicle and it has made quite an impression on me! They are both early marks, older versions have extra armour attached to the front of the turret.
Looks like the thermal wrap is missing from the barrel too, I don't think they built a chieftain without it so I'm guessing they took it off. Do they still have their engines?

The vehicle in the first picture is a Humber 1 Ton (Armoured), universally known as "The Pig" - a nickname that I have to say was very well deserved.

They were originally produced in the 1950s as a stop-gap until the Saracen came into full production. They used the chassis and drive train from a standard Humber 1 ton truck and had a (very lightly) armoured body added. The armour was barely bullet proof but, because of its weight, it caused endless problems with knackered gear boxes, broken half-shafts, burnt out clutches etc etc etc. Most of them had been put into storage by the time the Northern Ireland troubles kicked off in the late 60s but they were the requirement for some kind of armoured protection meant that large numbers were dragged out, dusted off and put back into service. The list of modifications to these things is almost endless and they were used for every task under the sun.

Here's yours truly waiting to go out on patrol in one in Dungannon in 1972.

J

Dungannon1.jpg

I love old military vehicles, especially the ww2 ones (surprise surprise) seeing images like this really put a smile on my face and make me wish I had been there too!

Have any of you ever caught the tv program "Tank Restoration"?
It was watching that which made me realise how much I would love to own and restore a few, any war wounds would be kept though unless it hampered the vehicle's operation.
Alas, this is just a lottery win dream unless I become rich and famous so I will just have to enjoy examples such as this or those at shows, owned by some one else (lucky sod!)

Anywho... thank you for sharing

Latest posts

Back