Lallian's flour mill, Birmingham, Feb 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranKmasT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find no history. Apart from all the paper sacks lying about the place with H.S Kang & Sons written on them that's all I'v e got to go on. Please excuse my ignorance. Please check out previous explores on here by SJ9966 and Virusman26.

[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=6834[/ame]

[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=14070[/ame]

OutsidemillPB.jpg

Outsidemill2PB.jpg

truckPB.jpg

FlowerbagPB.jpg
InvoicePB.jpg

machinesPB.jpg

machinecloseupPB.jpg

machine2PB.jpg

SwitchgearPB.jpg

stairsshoesPB.jpg
oldstairsPB.jpg

basementPB.jpg
QuackquackPB.jpg

GasmaskPB.jpg

windowPB.jpg
TankPB.jpg

ForkliftPB.jpg

RobinsonsmachinePB.jpg
WeirdfunnelPB.jpg

officePB.jpg
Office2PB.jpg

corridorPB.jpg
TioletPB.jpg

Robinsonsmachine2PB.jpg

RobinsonlogoPB.jpg

FiredoorPB.jpg
colaPB.jpg

machinePB.jpg

factoryfloor2PB.jpg
flakygreentankPB.jpg

factoryfloorPB.jpg
doorPB.jpg

weird-tubesPB.jpg

tubesPB.jpg
grinderPB.jpg

stairsupPB.jpg

Hall of fame.
Halloffame.jpg

Halloffame2PB.jpg

I've no idea who these people are.......

---------------------------------------------

A thoroughly enjoyable explore. Thanks for looking;)
[/CENTER]

LOL at whoever put the '4' and the heart symbol between my name and Dweebs :mrgreen:

Good pics, it is a shame how some of it has gone since 2007 but also how good a lot of it is also untouched.

Good pics, it is a shame how some of it has gone since 2007 but also how good a lot of it is also untouched.

Cheers. I looked your DP posts on here so I could link it with the rest then realised I'd seen yours on 4weeksafter.

Yes comparing the many reports I've seen it still pretty much untouched. Like you said, apart from some long tubes to the hoppers and perhaps a few other bits it's much the same.

Really liking this mate, although if I stumbled upon you on an explore wearing that mask, I might just have a little poo. Great set of photos, sad about the truck all rusty and burned.

Great pics, I love this place :) Had actually forgotten I'd added my name to the list too!

Also loving what seems to be your ever increasing collection of masks (Y)

nechells flour mill

great stuff

i got stopped and searched by west midlands finest on 1st Oct 2010 here. the normal police were fine and just wanted me off site but when the inspector turned up he got very angry and wanted to arrest me.

i turns out there was a robbery the same day in the business next door and they thought i was part of that.

still got the yellow seach order someplace. of course i had nothing to do with it and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time

i seem to recall the milling and chaff machines had Rochdale makers plates on them and there was a big hole in the floor on the 1st and 2nd floors where a chute used to be so its not a place to walk around in the dark

as a youngster i started work only 1/2 a mile from here in 1986 and can remember the smell of the place walking past it once id got off the bus.

seem to recall the officer also saying 'if i catch you in anymore old buildings you'll see the wrong side of me'.......... it still makes me smile

i got stopped and searched by west midlands finest on 1st Oct 2010 here. the normal police were fine and just wanted me off site but when the inspector turned up he got very angry and wanted to arrest me.

Shame that. Where you inside at the time?

Thanks for that bit of history. It would be great to see some old pictures of this place when it was up and running.

yes i was on the 1st floor

heard voices then a dog, peered out the window to see half dozen officers and a handler.

i pride myself on being able to talk my way out of things but knew there was no point in hiding or being cocky.

and just walked down stairs and took them all by suprise.

made a detour passed there this morning and noted the iron gates paddlocked and them grey metal sheets overs the windows and doors

I was going to say the first few images of the workshop were my fav, but they only got better, Thanks for sharing.

Must have missed this first time round.

Great photos and the site looks really interesting too. Love them machines...

Edit: Why is it tagged with 'Cock', 'Fuck' and 'Tits'?...

nechells flour mill

great stuff

i turns out there was a robbery the same day in the business next door and they thought i was part of that.

still got the yellow seach order someplace. of course i had nothing to do with it and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time

i seem to recall the milling and chaff machines had Rochdale makers plates on them and there was a big hole in the floor on the 1st and 2nd floors where a chute used to be so its not a place to walk around in the dark

as a youngster i started work only 1/2 a mile from here in 1986 and can remember the smell of the place walking past it once id got off the bus.

seem to recall the officer also saying 'if i catch you in anymore old buildings you'll see the wrong side of me'.......... it still makes me smile
The hole in the floor on the second floor was tedundant when the building was a flour mill. The hole on the first floor had a wooden shute down to a platform in the loading bay where bags were manually loaded onto lorries. In winter the doir to the loading bay sometimes froze or one of the two company lorries would have its diesel freeze meaning we couldnt load from there. At those times we took a large piece of plywood from the wall and passed the flour and wheatfeed bags down to the next person stood on a series of makeshift platforms made from stacks of pallets. Health and safety was minimal back then.

The hole in the floor on the second floor was tedundant when the building was a flour mill. The hole on the first floor had a wooden shute down to a platform in the loading bay where bags were manually loaded onto lorries. In winter the doir to the loading bay sometimes froze or one of the two company lorries would have its diesel freeze meaning we couldnt load from there. At those times we took a large piece of plywood from the wall and passed the flour and wheatfeed bags down to the next person stood on a series of makeshift platforms made from stacks of pallets. Health and safety was minimal back then.
I thought some additive was put in diesel fuel in winter time to prevent it from freezing or gelling.

I thought some additive was put in diesel fuel in winter time to prevent it from freezing or gelling.
This was back in 1984/85 so ? If it was back then it certainly didn't work. Both lorries (the grain lorry and the delivery lorry...both Volvo's) were reversed into the loading bay and it was the one parked on an angle nearest the shutter door which froze overnight. It took most of the day with heaters to thaw it out.

This was back in 1984/85 so ? If it was back then it certainly didn't work. Both lorries (the grain lorry and the delivery lorry...both Volvo's) were reversed into the loading bay and it was the one parked on an angle nearest the shutter door which froze overnight. It took most of the day with heaters to thaw it out.
When I was driving diesel vans and lorries in the 1980s-1990s, I was told that the composition of diesel was changed between winter and summer in the UK. Some lorries had heaters in their fuel tanks to stop the diesel from waxing up. And additives were available. It is interesting that both the lorries you mention were Volvos. With the very cold Scandinavian winters, Volvo would have known all about preventing waxing up. Perhaps lorries destined for lower latitudes did not have tank heaters, etc.
Also, any wind might lower the temperature of the fuel overnight. Here in Bournemouth, the windscreen of my car will be frosted over in icy weather because the front of the car faces away from the house; the rear window (a couple of feet from the house) is frost-free.

Latest posts

Back