Leeds Waterloo lake culvert and overflow

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooooooooooooooooh didn't realise Waterloo Park used to have a lido, till i saw the pic of it on your myspace blog, Whereabouts on the park was it situated and has the pool itself been demolished then now?

Loads of lido's have now gone, some in recent years. Nottingham used to have 3 of them, now they have none. such a shame.

Cheers,

:) Sal

The Lido was at the southern end of the park below Waterloo Lake. It was built turn of the century. I think it closed and the site cleared in the 80s, but it had been neglected for a few years before that.

Although I lived about a mile away, only ever went once. It had a reputation for not being too hygienic!!!

http://www.vrleeds.co.uk/roundhay-park-leeds/roundhay-park-map.html

I visited Roundhay park on Friday evening, with my wife and our dog. They waited at the lake while I did a very quick trip through the outfall;

rimg0176wh1.jpg

I liked the older brick lined part better than the newer part. I didn't have time to explore the RCP. Has anybody followed this to the end?

I know Awwrisp wants to have a look at the Roundhay outfall, so we will be going back for a proper trip soon.

Thanks to my wife, for hanging around and taking the photographs.

Ha ha. I hope the goats didn't chase you in that field mate. Nice one! :mrgreen:

Phill your photography and lighting is getting really good, What were you using to light this place?

Phill your photography and lighting is getting really good, What were you using to light this place?

Hi bigloada. Cheers mate.
I've just noticed my 4th shot down has gone well wonky. What's happened there then?

Anyway to the question. We just took a 3 & 12 mill candle lamp, and a mag lite. That's it.

Hi bigloada. Cheers mate.
I've just noticed my 4th shot down has gone well wonky. What's happened there then?

Anyway to the question. We just took a 3 & 12 mill candle lamp, and a mag lite. That's it.

They really work mate. I have only explored one railway tunnel and I was amazed how it just ate up the light!

They really work mate. I have only explored one railway tunnel and I was amazed how it just ate up the light!

You can say they eat up light mate. Yes the railway tunnels can be pretty vast places. It's a whole new ball game in them compared to the culvets and mines yeah?? :mrgreen:

D'you know, everytime I've seen this report up I kept thinking I'd already seen it for some reason! :lol: Glad I finally checked it out...really interesting with lots of different things happening. Love the waterfall area. Great pics as always, Phill. :)

You can say they eat up light mate. Yes the railway tunnels can be pretty vast places. It's a whole new ball game in them compared to the culvets and mines yeah?? :mrgreen:

Very true! One good thing about the Northern metal mines is that they tend to be low roofed, so lighting up drivages works well.

Yesterday evening, Awwrisp and I had a look at the Roundhay Park outfall. It was Awwrisp's first visit and my second visit. I took just one photograph, approaching the overflow at the lake;

rimg0384dn2.jpg

This time I wanted to follow the RCP section to the end. Judging from the markings on the wall it was about 210-220 metres long and finished in a dead end.

New to this site and just finding the quality of the photos and the exploring just mind blowing. Grew up going to Roundhay Park every weekend and never knew such great things lay below.
Nice 1

really wanted to do this place when I went up to leeds, will deffo give it a shot next time, great report!

I like the place, it's got a lot of variety in a small area. Don't expect an extensive system, it is a short explore. As Phill.d said earlier it is a good explore for beginners. Awwrisp and I did the whole system in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the link.

Great pics of the waterfall and lido - I've never seen any as good :)

I used to go to roundhay st johns cof e primary just next door to the park (the victorian one not the 90's rebuild at the top of elmete drive (and live at Elmete hall at the side of the park ..also covered on these boards). The waterfall and lido were still in place when I was at school, and i remember being terribly dissapointed by the damn that replaced the fall. It looked and sounded so much better as it was.

We also went a couple of times to the lido with school, it was a shallow paddleing pool from memmory at the time, as apposed to the deep swimming pool it was originally built as. I must be one of the youngest people to remember it as a functional venue though.

It was when they put the damn in that they modified the culvert covered in this thread. it used to be more like a shallow skate ramp with a few steps in it, great fun to play in as a child.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back