Lletyshenkin Victorian Manor, Cwmbach, Aberdare

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooksprings

Reaction score
Hi first time post, trying to follow your guidelines closely.

This is Llettyshenkin (possible English: House of the Shenkins) an abandoned Victorian Manor on the Cefnpennar Road overlooking Cwmbach. It is not possible to access this site. You get permission and a tour ;) from the security guard and rabid Alsatian if you ask the gent in the neighbouring house.

Update: Llettyshenkin House was built in 1859 as evidenced by the date (in Roman numerals) above the main entrance. (eh missed that) The money to build the house came from the profits of Llettyshenkin Colliery. This was opened in 1843 by William Thomas and taken over by his brother-in-law William Rees. William Rees's daughter Anne married William Thomas Lewis (later Sir, and Lord Merthyr) in 1864. Daniel Rees (William's brother) was resident there in 1865 (Webster's Directory). Daniel's son Robert T Rees also resided there, later moving to Glandare House. Lord Aberdare may have taken over the house at one point, and was sold to Dyffryn Powell Co. which was taken over by the National Coal Board in 1947. One of the last residence was a Marjorie E Williams, whose urn ashes sit in the basement.

The Cefnpennar Road at the time was apparently the main thoroughfare for coach and horses, and had many pits nearby. As a Lord, many famous peoples were entertained here, apparently including WG Grace and Haile Selassie. It has been empty for around 8 years and is on the market with condition of complete refurbishment, but keeping all Victorian features.

The house is in a derelict but sound condition, with most of the marble fireplaces, servants bells, stone slab floors, ceramic sinks, brass doorknobs and art deco ceilings remaining, even a piano! There are many high oak shelves and huge cabinets. There was a coach house outside and a large tennis court (Clarence Bruce 3rd Lord played for England). There are 4 floors with huge rooms, including the cramped low ceilings of the attic servants quarters. The ceilings have collapsed in many places and floor boards need light treads.

I found it surprising to find a manor in a location like this (if you know Cwmbach!) that had not been ransacked, old pictures show they had their own Policeguard. I had the feeling this would have been simple and beautiful house in it's heyday with a mixture of English and Welsh accents and a roaring fire in each room. I found it touching to see the cramped low ceilinged servants quaters in comparison with the grand greeting rooms, but then the Welsh were always short.

The rooms were so large to photograph, I concentrated on effects and touches.

front2.jpg

front1.jpg

piano.jpg

fire5.jpg

fire3.jpg

step1.jpg

bath1.jpg

fire4.jpg

mouse.jpg

angel.jpg

loft.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't see this the 1st time round.

What a lovely looking building!

Thanks for posting :)

Merged update post into the original thread. I hope it does get renovated, I would much rather see buildings in use than not!

Back