LOGISTICS FOR D-DAY

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one in Langstone harbour by Hayling Island, I've driven an inflatable around it when I did a course for Scuba diving. We even had to moor up to it. Here is another landing craft that sunk in Dundee Harbour
Is that a relatively recent shot of Dundee Harbour? I know there's an old tug boat sitting in Camperdown Dock, slowly sinking, it's supposed to be getting restored but meantime the sea lock gate is jammed and needs lots of money spent on it to open access to that part of the docks again...

HFH I messaged you separate from this thread with my email if we take this off group I can send you loads of data as I am archivist at the Military Railway Study Group formerly the WW2 Railway Study Group our web site has not caught up with the change yet.

Is that a relatively recent shot of Dundee Harbour? I know there's an old tug boat sitting in Camperdown Dock, slowly sinking, it's supposed to be getting restored but meantime the sea lock gate is jammed and needs lots of money spent on it to open access to that part of the docks again...
No it was taken back in 2010 when my son worked at a Games company that went bust a few months later, I used to go and visit him, I spotted the wreck when I was walking around the harbour

HFH I messaged you separate from this thread with my email if we take this off group I can send you loads of data as I am archivist at the Military Railway Study Group formerly the WW2 Railway Study Group our web site has not caught up with the change yet.
Good day and many thanks for this message. Alas I have not received anything from you as yet. Did you contact me via homefronthistory AT byinternet.com (using @ of course !!) I will check all folders in case I have missed anything. Be good to catch up and exchange information of interest. Thank you very much.

Forget to mention previously. enjoyed the photographs, many thanks.

I would really appreciate all and any help members may be able to give. I am researching the supply chain and the logistics in the months leading to D-DAY, specifically sites and locations used for storage of fuel, food, vehicles, medical supplies, ammunition and so on. If any buildings/sites still exist perhaps you can point me in the right direction. Many thanks. The results of my research will be put into the public domain as an educational and historical resource. Photo shows oil pumping station at Northington, Hampshire
While helping at the Royal Logistic Corps Museum I discovered the original UK logistic support maps covering the whole of the South of England. They cover everything from vehicle wash downs to ammunition depots to field hospitals. The RLC museum reopens at its new location on 17th May in Worthy Down. As ex RAOC, I have studied a number of installations in the south from "Woolworths" at Micheldever, PLUTO installations, and Hospitals. Happy to help.

Good afternoon
Thanks so much for your message - especially regards the move by the RLC Museum to Worthy Down. I would certainly welcome any help you feel able to provide that covers the remit of the Corps ahead of DDAY. How best to proceed do you think? Thanks again and have a good weekend. John.

Latest posts

Back