Longriggend Young Offenders Institute

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon-G

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This high security young offenders prison closed in 2000 as part of the national cut backs in the prison service and due to the rising number of suicides in the prison. It housed up to 158 young offenders although from remembering the cell blocks I thought it would have held more than that, will try to find out.. After the prison closed it was hired out to film companies. After that the cell blocks were demolished.

All that is left is the double outer perimeter fences with coils of razor sharp barbed wire round the inside of the perimeter and the main enterance block, all pics in the missilanious gallery. There is a path round the outside of the perimeter fence that you can walk round. Being there you feel lost for words especially looking at the high fences with barbed wire but knowing that there are people who need to be in these places.

PerimeterFence2_715734.JPG

Reply in Chat thread here​

Wow has anyone been in here? it looks like it would make a great explore-ive never explored a prison

The cells have now been demoilished but even with the perimeter high fencing and the enterance officers building still there, there is still an uneasy attmosphere in the place. Quite a few younf offenders committed suicide in this prison. and I can tell you, you sure do feel the tense aura if you know what I mean.

I have more pics I can send you if you would like to see them.

Simon-G :mrgreen:

hmri longriggend

Simon
I served in longriggend remand from 1982-86 if you require any info please get back to me I will help with any info that I remember.

Simon
I served in longriggend remand from 1982-86 if you require any info please get back to me I will help with any info that I remember.

Hi Turnkey,

Thanks for the help.

What did you do there and how did you find the place?

I was a prison officer during that period I was transferred to another establishment in 1986

The cells have now been demoilished but even with the perimeter high fencing and the enterance officers building still there, there is still an uneasy attmosphere in the place. Quite a few younf offenders committed suicide in this prison. and I can tell you, you sure do feel the tense aura if you know what I mean.

I have more pics I can send you if you would like to see them.

Simon-G :mrgreen:

This high security young offenders prison closed in 2000 as part of the national cut backs in the prison service and due to the rising number of suicides in the prison. It housed up to 158 young offenders although from remembering the cell blocks I thought it would have held more than that, will try to find out.. After the prison closed it was hired out to film companies. After that the cell blocks were demolished.

All that is left is the double outer perimeter fences with coils of razor sharp barbed wire round the inside of the perimeter and the main enterance block, all pics in the missilanious gallery. There is a path round the outside of the perimeter fence that you can walk round. Being there you feel lost for words especially looking at the high fences with barbed wire but knowing that there are people who need to be in these places.

PerimeterFence2_715734.JPG

As you say, "knowing that there are people who need to be in these places.". Times may change, but human nature does not.

Latest posts

Back