Quantcast

Malvernbury Care Home Oct '11

Help Support Derelict Places:

mookster

Reaction score
Visited with a pair of non-members with a bit of a last-minute (11pm the previous night) planning.

When people think of derelict care homes they tend to automatically think of dreary, soul-crushing 1970s buildings people go to to die in but Malvernbury is something a little different. The building is architecturally fantastic, the windows letting in a huge amount of light and the views are spectacular from the top floor. Plus you can't shake that nagging feeling that all the residents and staff have just popped out on a day trip to the seaside, there is a seriously eerie 'Mary Celeste' feeling to the place made even more weird by the fact one of the old phones in the home actually rang during our visit! I was convinced it was one of my mates mobiles but no, one of the old twiddly dial phones rang until it rung off, in hindsight we should've picked up the phone and seen who it was.

This is a fantastic place, one of my favourites from this whole year. And I can tell as I'm writing this I'm going to struggle to select a sensible amount of photos (oh how I wish I'd had a wide angle)...

This painting hanging in the dining room seriously weirded me out, why have a painting of a crying child in a nursing home!?

Thanks for looking, more photos can be found here

Em_Ux

Veteran Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed your report Mookster.

It does have that 'just nipped out' feel to it.

Lolpeacock

Reaction score
Is the building for sale?
Is this proof of alien abduction?

Nice photos, nice find.
Thanks

UEP-Wales

Moody Moderator
Reaction score
What a fantastic place! It really does feel that everybody has gone out on a day trip and will be back very soon!

Great pics and thanks for sharing :)

maximus

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics, definately get the "mary celeste" feeling! That painting is quite unnerving though! Nice find. :)

There used to be a daft story about 'the crying boy' picturesin the seventies,apparently wherever it was hung the building set alight!! Obviously complete squirrel poo!!

Love the pics thanks so much!

mookster

Reaction score
There used to be a daft story about 'the crying boy' picturesin the seventies,apparently wherever it was hung the building set alight!! Obviously complete squirrel poo!!

Love the pics thanks so much!

Cheers everyone, I said to my friend after I could probably go back here and come away with 100 totally different photos there is so much stuff to see.

The curse of the crying boy

st33ly

Veteran Member
Reaction score
That Singer sowing machine must have been nabbed, It wasn't there when I looked. :(

st33ly

Veteran Member
Reaction score
I was there yesterday evening and it wasen't in any rooms on any floors or in the basement, just some buttons on the shelf.

Last edited:

TeeJF

Reaction score
This got me thinking so I checked our photos from the day. The singer sewing machine we saw is actually in the adjacent Children's Nursery just up the road so I reckon the blue boy must have had a garage sale that morning. :p Pics to follow when I catch up with the backlog of our past few weeks explorations and apologies for any confusion there of my making. Btw, who left the entry point undone then??? Naughty naughty naughty lot, let's keep this place secure or it's just going to get chavved up in double quick time! :sick:

Latest posts