Manchester Cathedral Steps : MAY 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyj23uk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Report , Manchester Cathedral Steps : MAY 2008

intro

Present : Bigjobs , Andyj23UK , Littlejobs , SparkUK , Karl

Not all at once I must add , this is a report spanning two trips down – and Littlejobs and SparkUK could only attend on one occasion due to other commitments

The arches themselves have been elevated to almost a cult status in expoloring circles , for those who have not hear of them previously – here is the wikipedia entry : Manchester cathedral steps

bilious ranting

Much has been written about this site – unfortunately – much of it , was ego driven lies – to put it mildly . The facts of this site are amazing enough without the embellishments

going underground , my experiences

The cathedral arches are much more than ` a glorified cellar ` as dismissed by my none exploring mate , the sounds , smells and even taste of the cool humid air are eerie and

The sounds of approaching , then receeding footsteps and conversations from the pavement are amplified and distorted in strange and disquieting ways – you can listen but you cannot really hear , and certainly not comprehend what is happening above you

You are so close to civilization , yet so cut off – by only a few feet of masonry , clay and tarmacadam

In other arches , deeper in the complex – a tranquil silence descends – with your light off – and fellow explorers out of earshot , the unique musty smells of a humid and decaying underground construction

Unfortunately the stench of raw sewage permeates several arches , and others are

Open manholes and other hazards litter the floors , every step has to be a calculated one , in one place you can fall into a running sewer

The experience is amazing – you really do step back in time , apart from a concreted exit portal and a nailed shut door , there are no modern features to be seen – all electric fittings are pre - war and the fixtures are being slowly consumed by damp and decay

A big thanks to all who shared in the experience and helped make both trips go like clockwork – almost – RIP Karls sunglasses

The pictures :

As noted in previous exploration reports – as the place is in total darkness , the way each photographer lights their shots can make dramatic differences to otherwise near identical compositions

I lit many of these with a diffused searchblaster .

The prototype Victorian heated toilet seat caused more problems than it solved and never caught on – unlike the arse poor tester which caught fire :p
ajf1688smallmi4.jpg

Steps in the gents
ajf1690smallcy3.jpg

Gents toilets
ajf1683smallrb4.jpg

A broken pane
ajf1685smallvu5.jpg

Ducting
ajf1673smallhw3.jpg

ajf1669smallvu0.jpg

A cool shot – looking straight up

Flowstone envelopes switch gear and conduit
ajf1667csmallpr1.jpg

Calcite straws
ajf1657smallfi4.jpg

Due to the chemical composition of the motars they are leeched out of they grow much faster than in natural limestone

Just in case you need to dig your way out – a last resort only – lol
ajf1651smallly0.jpg

Ammeter on a powerboard
ajf1578smalltz6.jpg

The corroding banister of the stirs in the gents toilet
ajf1558smallpc1.jpg

Bank of urinals in the gents – shot from floor level in a adjacent utility room

ajf1556smallum0.jpg

Door & wall signage

ajf1549smalltu9.jpg

ajf1572smallsr1.jpg

Despite the promise , I could find no ladies down their – lol

ajf1693smalljg8.jpg

my fellow explorers and I

Final gear inspection before we head into the tunnels L>R Karl , Bigjobs , Littlejobs

L>R myself , Bigjobs , Karl , SparkUK

ajf1581largesmallnx5.jpg

Karl- being Karl – he got the mask in Kiev
ajf1649smallnr3.jpg

L>R Littlejobs and Bigjobs , take a break after inspecting the surface hatch
ajf1650smallvp8.jpg

L>R Bigjobs and Littlejobs – kit check
ajf1695smallxu4.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my view of this Manchester landmark , I certainly enjoyed my experience immensely

FIN .

Cool pics! Good to see some different angles of stuff too! :mrgreen: This is getting higher up my list of must do's! ;)

Its a sad thing to say but as the saying goes "the truth will out" and it has certainly made some people look foolish. I guess you'll be the talk of the closed forums now!

Good explore chaps.

Fantastic write up Andy

So, three trips in total, first was a recce which showed us how not to get in. Second trip was slick as slick gets. Me, andyJ, sparkUK and Karl all in in under 10 mins from sitting in the van, to standing in there cameras in hand. Third time was a charm, littlejobs replaced SparkUK, who's off enjoying himself in other climes, and he loved it. Another one to put under his belt

Only took a few shots really, and here they are in no particular order.

CRW_3495.jpg

CRW_3497.jpg

CRW_3498.jpg

CRW_3499.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

GroupShotfacegone.jpg

KarlLIttlejobs.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

Had a great time, littlejobs being there the last trip really made my day, and I'll just say that all the relevant safety equipment was used in the access and egress from this site. He was safer there than he was crossing the road.

Manchester Cathedral Steps

Don't it look great there!! I think that I would spend the entire night down there.... doing me own thing.... cause I see by this report that it gives great results.

Last edited:
A few of mine. Nothing new at all to add I'm afraid.

I'm really pleased to have seen this site. It was good to walk in a place where my grandmother and my uncle once had been, but for very different reasons to mine, and it will be good to speak with him and share his memories over my photos.

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

ca3.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca5.jpg

ca6.jpg

wow, this looks fab!!
Like a bit of a time warp down there :mrgreen:
Love the sign on the toilet door that reads 'convenience out of service!'

makes me want to go see Victoria Tunnels all the more :)

some pics from me!!! didnt get too many on this trip, as i arived later due to work, infact they were all ready for coming out when i appeared, but they hung around to let me see the place!! and anyhow, i plan to go back!!

HUGE props to bigjobs and andyJ for supplying the "equipment" to make entry easyer!! thanks guys!!

DSCF3938.jpg

DSCF3940.jpg

DSCF3943.jpg

DSCF3945.jpg

DSCF3949.jpg

DSCF3950.jpg

DSCF3951.jpg

DSCF3959.jpg

al in all a nice evening out!! cant wait to spend more time in there as there is loads of little stuff i missed!!!

B..

Loving the pics. Just wondered, when was this place closed? Was it straight after WW2?

This is one place I wanna explore! someone come with me!! Love the candles too!

How on earth did I miss this report the first time around? :confused: I must sit here with my eyes closed :neutral:

Excellent pics guys, loads of pics that I haven't seen at all before, and love the views from different angles. Good to see Little Jobs down there too.

You all look so dodgy on the second set of pics of you all sat on the loo :lol:

This place is still on my list of places to see. Namely as my aunty used to go down here in the war when her and her sisters used to be in the city centre, and she'd love to see pics of it how it looks nowadays.

Cheers guys, excellent report and excellent pics,

:) Sal

Back