Mayfield the ghost station of Manchester

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed that report, as a child we would regularly drive past the back of the station on route to visiting relations in South Manchester, even as a child I wondered what was inside. I then spent many years gazing out at it from Gateway House when I really should have been working. I haven't been down there for many years living a fair few miles from Manchester these days, it was lovely to see something of my hometown, thankyou.

That's a terrific report. So much detail and some very poignant photos. Thank you for that. Is the Star and Garter still open? I did a aagan seminar thingy there years ago.

Old Railway stuff was never of much interest to me at one time,until I researched and visited the remnants old Great Northern Railway station at Friargate in Derby.Although the one at Derby is largely in ruins and overgrown,there was so much still to see which could be identified with the aid of an excellent book.
I can see some similarities in your report and I guess they were generally all built to the same sort of design.

As others have said,a brilliant,well documented report with some great photos,old and new which really build up the story and the atmospherics of the place.

A real hidden gem,well spotted and explored:)

Oooooooooooh excellent write up of the history of Mayfield Phill, Love seeing all the old pics and the new. Excellent pics and work. Love seeing railway stations and tracks being taken over by nature. Awesome work mate, awesome work.

:) Sal

Fantastic report there. I'm not a great fan of trains, but this looks a great place, I've been past this before and never even noticed it. Very well researched! :mrgreen:

Only just got around to reading this...left it til last as I knew it would be a good 'un. :mrgreen:
And it's beaten all my expectations. Someone else mentioned spellbinding, and it certainly was.
One helluvan explore, Phill. Cheers. :)

Great post Phil , Mixed emotions for me as I worked at Royal Mail when Mayfield was still in use,usually on night shift so you can imagine the added atmosphere it created,The area below the platform was known as "The Rathole" and in peak times was used to process mail order returns,It also stored various items of Royal Mail memorabilia such as the old Penfold post boxes, I recall seeing a couple of green Victorian ones there,The mail-bags would arrive from London and be off loaded on the platform,The mail bags would then be hung upside down on to a chain which travelled from Mayfield Station via the overhead conveyor bridge you mentioned,however it did not go to Piccadilly Station it went to the Parcelforce building on St Andrews St, Im sure this was the longest chain in Europe,Once inside the Parcelforce building the mail bags were cut open & the contents went down various chutes dependant on the labels tied around the neck,Nice to see the old tiled staircase again,that was particularly spooky at night and The Star & Garter would have an open (back) door policy for the Posties during those long nights.

Latest posts

Back