Member Consultation

Help Support Derelict Places:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi folks,

So, the software this forum runs on is kinda old, very old in fact, and you know how things move fast with technology, and it's kinda creaking and doesn't really work very well on mobile devices etc. One of the reasons I've kept to this version is that it took me a long time to get it working the way it is, so that only the first post of each thread shows to guests, and all those little things that aren't standard but worked for us for a long time (10 years in fact!)

So here's the thing. I want to upgrade to a much newer version of the forum software, pretty much the same one most other forums use (vbulletin 4.2 for those who understand), it's much more up to date, has much more with the times styles, and actually functions properly on mobile devices, it also works much better with social media etc. Also the search functions are way way better too.

The problem is that I don't have the time, energy or inclination to make the hundreds of small changes that I did with this version, so if I upgraded it would be pretty stock, as it comes, with guests able to view whole threads including replies etc. It probably also wouldn't have the same front page that I have on this version with the recent location reports split out.

I know people are resistant to change, but this version of the forum code is reaching the end of it's life, so it'll have to happen eventually. I'm thinking an update is kinda nice for our 10th birthday!

Thoughts?

Ben.

thorfrun

Veteran Member
Reaction score
you could print it on a bog roll as far as i care, i would still want to look as it is a brilliant site you have created and i am sure everyone will be behind any decision that is made, especially if it makes your life a ( well deserved ) little easier.

smiler

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Makes Sense, Is there enough in the kitty to cover any expenses? Count me in for a few pennies if they're needed, Thanks

Newage

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Krela
I'v made many friends over the past 7 years on here because of what you have done and achieved.
You crack on mate.

Cheers mike
AKA the newage traveller

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds good Captain, as long as there isn't too much forum downtime :)

For those that have never done it. I do recommend changing the style in the bottom left from 'Morbid Mint' to 'Original' for a bit... thats how I remember the forum...

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds good Captain, as long as there isn't too much forum downtime :)

For those that have never done it. I do recommend changing the style in the bottom left from 'Morbid Mint' to 'Original' for a bit... thats how I remember the forum...

Nah there won't be much downtime.

Hahaha I just did, jeez that's a blast from the past. That's the original 10 year old design.

Dirus_Strictus

Veteran Member
Reaction score
The main thing here is to keep this brilliant Forum up and running - If this means change, so be it. My personal feeling is that Krela should do it in a way that is easiest for him, we'll soon get used to the 'new format' or differences.

I also thank Krela and all the authors of the reports. they make this site what it is - A thought provoking read!

mockingbird

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Upgrades are often needed, as many have said do as you wish, I think a change and shake up would be good so to speak, did not take long to get used to minor differences before, I think a new layout would be good aswel? just my ten pennies worth :D

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you all for the lovely feedback.

I think this will almost certainly happen over the next few days. I will upgrade to the stock new forum software which will mean an hour or so's downtime which will be about this time of day. Then while the forum is back up I'll tweak and add things in over the following hours/days. This means that forum will be mostly available but both the look and functionality of it might change/evolve rapidly as you're using it, which may be a bit confusing for a day or two but is better than prolonged downtime I think! As always though if anyone has any major reservations please do get in touch.

There are costs associated with the update, getting the new forum software, making it look pretty etc, and as always donations are greatly appreciated but not necessary! Only 29 people have donated so far this year, not many!

Last edited:

jakee

Reaction score
what everyone else said, sometimes change is for the best.

you start from the bottom and work your way up!

Keep up the great work with the website, i don't think I've ever been on here and never seen your name in the online members list.

KM Punk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Moving the website forward is very positive, would there be a notifications system so we know when someone has started a new thread in a forum we prefer, or if someone comments on one of our threads?