Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge Machinery House

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scammell23

Reaction score
Hi, Just a small report showing the machinery that drives the Gondola across the famous Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge. The bridge was completed in 1911 and still uses its original machinery which is housed in a wonderful brick machine house on the south side of the bridge. Once inside the machinery house it was like stepping back to 1911, beautiful glazed internal brick walls, period electrical equipment and much more. The Westinghouse electric motor drives a huge cable drum which winds the Gondola back and forward across the bridge.
Notice the tram style controller for operating the Gondola from the machinery house if needed. The Gondola is operated from a little cabin on top of it, which I assume must house a similar tram style controller.
I’m not really sure but I assume all the electrical equipment runs on DC and uses resistor banks to speed up and slow down the old Westinghouse electric motor like a tram did.
The chaps who look after this place have did a great job keeping the equipment looking so nice.
It was fascinating to see how it all worked. I’d recommend this to anyone who loves old engineering. :)

Winding drum
25thApril2004023.png

Tram style controller
25thApril2004021.png

Westinghouse electric motor with spare one beside it
25thApril2004022.png

Ammeter and Voltmeter mounted on a marble back plate. Not sure what middle instrument is.
25thApril2004048.png

I like this!
25thApril2004049.png

Hope you enjoyed my brief look at some wonderful old engineering that was built to last and has stood the test of time :)

Last edited:
Big electric motors. :) Nice! It has never occoured to me that the bridge would have a control room. Doh!
I love the way workers take real pride in these places and keep them so clean. It reminds me of how colliery winder houses were always kept immaculate.

That's fabulous, scammell. Love these old engines and the housing, especially the attention to detail such as the tiling on the wall and the way it's not only kept immaculate, but the cheerful bright colours it's painted in. Thanks for showing that. :)

nice pictures mate
i think you would like the abbey pumping station in leicester big beam engines (steam)
great place to visit:)

Latest posts

Back