Millenium Mills- Silvertown- Sep 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vedrina

Reaction score
Introduction-
Everyone has a place they love and for me Millenium Mills is that special, because of the challenge involved, and the fact nobody else has been inside for months. I've told people many a time it can be done it just requires courage, innovative means of access, wit & a reckless disregard for your health. This was also the first explore under the title of the LUC.

The History-
The Millennium Mills is a derelict turn of 20th century flour mill in West Silvertown on the south side of the Royal Victoria Dock, between the Thames Barrier and the ExCel exhibition centre alongside the newly built Britannia village, in Newham, London, England. Along with Millennium Mills, there remains a small section of the now destroyed Rank Hovis Premier Mill and a restored grade II listed grain silo, labelled the ‘D’ silo.

The Adventure-
We'd discussed this site for many weeks and after poring over every inch of it to work out access points, which if your creative and not afraid of a few scratches and the likes you can find a few possibilities. A couple of weeks previously me and Gabe336 had a look with a pretty good idea of where we'd like to try, on the night in question it didn't go to plan and we were unable to utilise other access points. So I came back with my fellow long time explorer Intosly0, we again did some scouting to see what has changed and again found everything different to how we had last seen it.

I then made for my chosen access point which really did involve skill and stamina! I then waited out in the long grass of my fellow explorer who informed me that some kid had been giving him the stares when I disappeared suddenly, although he didn't see me.

We then made our way cautiously towards MM as we arrived at a half built art project we saw lights on in the caravans and a vehicle drive past the caravans we quickly hid nearby. We then made for our next point of entry again requiring stamina and a strong nerve and we were there. As silent as mice we made our way through the building and up towards the leap of faith. We momentarily paused as we saw movement in the S.S Robin. After a few minutes we decided to jump and we'd reached our prize! Our first port of calls were Nick Franglen's art project who apparently carried compost and various other items into MM for many months, I'm not sure how to be honest.

Legacy 1- The allotment was in a bad state and most of the plants were dead.

Legacy 2- Despite visiting all of the accessible roof top areas there was no sign of his 200 solar powered boats anywhere!

Legacy 3- We weren't 100% sure of it's location and were unable to find the TV/DVD Combi.

We then visited various areas and places we'd missed previously to have a look at them and get some night time shots of outside. We then sat just below the roof and looked out at what was happening overhead, only deciding to move on when a helicopter came our way and started hovering. We paused whilst securities headlights flashed against the wall, then we were over the leap of faith and heading through the next building. As we waited we again saw headlights but were in no rush so waited a few minutes then we exited the building. Again we used all our skills to get out and ended up going along unfinished paths towards our anticipated exit point which we knew would be a real challenge, at this point if anyone looked at the cameras we knew we'd have mere minutes to escape.

And so it was we enjoyed the most difficult climb I've ever done, I'll say it was not for the faint of heart and we both got trapped for 15-30 seconds on top (various things got caught on it), luckily we managed to get down just and Intosly0 kindly retrieved my trapped glove :). And there you have it the story of how we conquered the impossible!

The Photo's-

Legacy 1

London by Night

London City Airport

The Millennium Dome

The City

Security in a sea of darkness (Sorry for the blur but the wind shear was terrible on that side)

Millenium Mills

The London Pleasure Gardens

The Stages

Looking out across London

I really hoped you enjoyed this report and I hope it inspires you to go out and explore :).

A last note
I would kindly ask if your a new member/location hunter not to email me about this place as I have had at least a dozen emails about this place in the last couple of months and I really cannot stress how frustrating it is to have people keep asking for access or for me to take them there. This place is very dangerous and requires you to be very level headed! Thank-you :).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back