Mustard Gas Foward fillng depot. Norfolk. Feb 12 V. Pic heavy.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too there's just something so special about the buildings from that era. When it's coupled with an old railway line too... I'm straight there .:)

Nice one buddy! Persistance? Oh yes...

I remember a lecture when I was in the TA regarding chemical warfare. It told of how a young couple in France went "tristing" and found themselves in an old shell crater somewhere around Albert on the Somme. She contracted severe burns, on her delectable ass, lower back, and the backs of her thighs and her elbows. He got them on his calves, forearms and... er hmmm.... happy sacks.

Why? A tubular projectile (I think if my memory serves me correctly) known as a Stokes mortar bomb, full of mustard had finally rotted away and leached it's contents into the soil of the crater after 75 years.

Hmmm.... made me very wary about getting ouit of the car and shifting another Stokes Delight barring our way in the middle of the track at the back of High Wood the same year!

That isn't such an issue here as the whole site was proclaimed chemical free after a detailed survey at the back end of 1995.

That isn't such an issue here as the whole site was proclaimed chemical free after a detailed survey at the back end of 1995.

That's good, probably a case of serious top soil removal. Mustard really is a nasty thing. When they built the stadium in Huddersfield it was on the site of a former chemical plant and apparently workmen there got burns. That's scary after such a long time isn't it.

Just an aside but have you heard about the phos shells rising up due to gassing from the deep water dumping ground off the NW coast of Scotland? The buggers get washed up then sit on the beachs fizzing nastily until EOD can remove them! I wouldn't have believed it until I saw footage of a shell on a beach off Ayr.

Fantastic report sir. The brick structure in the first shot looks so well built!
Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing :)

Had a look round this place a couple of years ago when the Tank museum moved out.
At the back of the big black shed was a massive Air Compressor in a armoured hut, origional to WW2 facility.
Looking inside the big shed, the amount of filled in holes, pipe ducts,cable runs,and machinery bases, this surley must have been a production facility, not just storage??

Yes you're right.... there were three large "pots" at the front of the depot each capable of holding 500 tons of chemical each.

She contracted severe burns, on her delectable ass, lower back, and the backs of her thighs and her elbows. He got them on his calves, forearms and... er hmmm.... happy sacks.

I am not sure if I should wince at their pain or forget the seriousness of it all and giggle like a 8 year old!

Latest posts

Back