Mustard Gas Foward fillng depot. Norfolk. Feb 12 V. Pic heavy.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great report, there were quite a few of these spread around the country and on RAF camps. I used to work with one of the chaps who did the clearance surveys back in the mid 90s. He said that a lot of the contaminated pipework had been dumped in the pots at the end of the war and buried so he was overseeing the clean up. Thanks for posting

Great report, there were quite a few of these spread around the country and on RAF camps. I used to work with one of the chaps who did the clearance surveys back in the mid 90s. He said that a lot of the contaminated pipework had been dumped in the pots at the end of the war and buried so he was overseeing the clean up. Thanks for posting

Bloody hell Gingrove!! a tale from someone who has a connection with these places. That's priceless.

Thanks matey.. yes it was very frightening to think what was manufatured here.. BUT.. you have to remind yourself it was the Germans back in 1915 who pioneered the manufacturing and first use of Mustard Gas against our brave boys nearly a century ago.

The other thing about these depots that not many people know about, is that apart from filling shells and aircraft bombs there were also things called "Bulk Contamination Vehicles" These were a cross between a petrol tanker and a farm slurry sprayer. If the Germans had invaded the BCVs would have been driven along roads that the enemy had to cross, with the pumps running and laid a 30 odd yard wide belt of Mustard gas in front of the advancing Germans, to cause casualties and slow them down. It's probably just as well the Germans never did invade, as faced with belts of contaminated land in front of their troops they may well have responded with Tabun, Soman and Sarin the first of the nerve agents that we knew nothing about at the time and had no protection against.:skull: (Black Shuck I hope you don't mind me posting this, I'm not trying to steal your thunder but I thought that people might be interested) Gordon

The other thing about these depots that not many people know about, is that apart from filling shells and aircraft bombs there were also things called "Bulk Contamination Vehicles" These were a cross between a petrol tanker and a farm slurry sprayer. If the Germans had invaded the BCVs would have been driven along roads that the enemy had to cross, with the pumps running and laid a 30 odd yard wide belt of Mustard gas in front of the advancing Germans, to cause casualties and slow them down. It's probably just as well the Germans never did invade, as faced with belts of contaminated land in front of their troops they may well have responded with Tabun, Soman and Sarin the first of the nerve agents that we knew nothing about at the time and had no protection against.:skull: (Black Shuck I hope you don't mind me posting this, I'm not trying to steal your thunder but I thought that people might be interested) Gordon

Not at all Gingrove, you fill your boots. That's absolutely fascinating. There was some consternation back in WW2 as Churchill was all FOR the use of Mustard Gas as we'd been so seriously punished back with it in 1915 onwards. Not everyone agreed with the use of it apparently as that would have made us as bad as the Germans themselves.

Good report mate, very interesting and nice to see buildings like this still standing.

... There was some consternation back in WW2 as Churchill was all FOR the use of Mustard Gas as we'd been so seriously punished back with it in 1915 onwards. Not everyone agreed with the use of it apparently as that would have made us as bad as the Germans themselves.
Good job we didn't 'cos if had of started using them we'd have got humped big stylee. Post WW2 it was discovered that the Jerries had somewhere in the region of 250,000 tons of nerve gas (Tabun, Sarin) - quite why they didn't use it is anyones guess although there is some suggestion that Hitler thought that it was a rather distasteful method of warfare having been gassed hmself during WW1. The Allies split up the German stock of chemical weapons and we ended up storing 71,000 bombs full of the stuff for about 10 years on what is now Caernarfon Airport in North Wales. In 1955 and 1956 they were all dumped in the Atlantic - 3 ships were loaded up with the ordnance, sailed out into the Atlantic about 200 miles NW of N Ireland and sunk. And there they lie slowly rotting away... hopefully!

Last edited:
Good report mate, very interesting and nice to see buildings like this still standing.

Good job we didn't 'cos if had of started using them we'd have got humped big stylee. Post WW2 it was discovered that the Jerries had somewhere in the region of 250,000 tons of nerve gas (Tabun, Sarin) - quite why they didn't use it is anyones guess although there is some suggestion that Hitler thought that it was a rather distasteful method of warfare having been gassed hmself during WW1. The Allies split up the German stock of chemical weapons and we ended up storing 71,000 bombs full of the stuff for about 10 years on what is now Caernarfon Airport in North Wales. In 1955 and 1956 they were all dumped in the Atlantic - 3 ships were loaded up with the ordnance, sailed out into the Atlantic about 200 miles NW of N Ireland and sunk. And there they lie slowly rotting away... hopefully!

Thanks for your input Walrus that's most informative.God knows what would've happened if they had decided to use it!

Latest posts

Back