My Old Demolished Hospital Mortuary

Help Support Derelict Places:

MacVicar

Reaction score
Hi to everyone I just wanted to introduce myself to this new website. I am enjoying so much the Hospitals & Asylums page, & must say, on here are some outstanding photographs! I love abandoned places likewise. I once worked in a local Infirmary in Scotland it was, when I started already 110 years old & I worked in the operating theatres for four years as a Theatre orderly, before undertaking my legit training as an Operating Theatre Technician. Right across the Courtyard, under an arch was the Hospital's Mortuary which I visited twice whilst I worked there. What I found fascinating, & was inexplicably drawn to, was the Mortuary door! It was a single WIDE wooden door with a HUGE pane of frosted glass with emboldened calligraphy which I have faithfully replicated here-right down to the 'Lucida Calligraphy' Font! I hope members do like my effort-I have a further tale about the mortuary-but that will be another time.

Last edited:

MacVicar

Reaction score
Hi to everyone I just wanted to introduce myself to this new website. I am enjoying so much the Hospitals & Asylums page, & must say, on here are some outstanding photographs! I love abandoned places likewise. I once worked in a local Infirmary in Scotland it was, when I started already 110 years old & I worked in the operating theatres for four years as a Theatre orderly, before undertaking my legit training as an Operating Theatre Technician. Right across the Courtyard, under an arch was the Hospital's Mortuary which I visited twice whilst I worked there. What I found fascinating, & was inexplicably drawn to, was the Mortuary door! It was a single WIDE wooden door with a HUGE pane of frosted glass with emboldened calligraphy which I have faithfully replicated here-right down to the 'Lucida Calligraphy' Font! I hope members do like my effort-I have a further tale about the mortuary-but that will be another time.

I am unable to upload photo-regretfully will have to leave it there..

Brewtal

Veteran Member
Reaction score
What issue are you having with the upload? I’m sure some of us will be able to help. I’d quite like to see your work, sounds like you have put a lot of effort in to it doing it from memory. Plus we all love a mortuary related tale here, you are in good company with us!

Brewtal

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Read the link Krela posted, you will have to host the image elsewhere such as Imgur or Flickr etc. then you will have the option to get a bbcode which you will copy and past into where you type a message, and once the message is posted it will display the image.

MacVicar

Reaction score

INFIRM.png

Last edited:

MacVicar

Reaction score
I have now at last uploaded the photo!!!

MacVicar

Reaction score
yes excellent work. I assume this mortury is long gone? what about the main hospital is that still standing?
Sorry for the delay, long demolished-it was closed in the autumn of 1982 after 114 years standing-then finally demolished in 1996. It became a bit of a refuge for vagrants, then vandals went about trashing the insides, breaking windows, etc. In 1994 it was set ablaze by a juvenile arsonist who later appeared in court and was sentenced accordingly. When the hospital was operational I set foot into the mortuary three times, once when I rang the bell to have a look round. The first time there was a cadaver on the porcelain slab having just been closed up after his autopsy, the second when I had to hand in a breast sample from operating theatres for histology, the duty pathologist was undertaking a post-mortem. When I rang the bell on that occasion the mortuary technician said: "oh just go through" and there before me was the lady pathologist right in the middle of an evisceration! The last time was when along with my father I had to identify my mother in that mortuary.

Hayman

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, long demolished-it was closed in the autumn of 1982 after 114 years standing-then finally demolished in 1996. It became a bit of a refuge for vagrants, then vandals went about trashing the insides, breaking windows, etc. In 1994 it was set ablaze by a juvenile arsonist who later appeared in court and was sentenced accordingly. When the hospital was operational I set foot into the mortuary three times, once when I rang the bell to have a look round. The first time there was a cadaver on the porcelain slab having just been closed up after his autopsy, the second when I had to hand in a breast sample from operating theatres for histology, the duty pathologist was undertaking a post-mortem. When I rang the bell on that occasion the mortuary technician said: "oh just go through" and there before me was the lady pathologist right in the middle of an evisceration! The last time was when along with my father I had to identify my mother in that mortuary.
"It became a bit of a refuge for vagrants, then vandals went about trashing the insides, breaking windows, etc. In 1994 it was set ablaze by a juvenile arsonist who later appeared in court and was sentenced accordingly" - burnt at the stake?

Latest posts