Quantcast

Need some advice on a camera

Help Support Derelict Places:

tazong

Reaction score
Hello folks taz here :)

As most people know i really like my videos and that is a huge part of my game but i also love my photos to.
I have been using my sons camera but he has gone back to university and has took his{my boohoo) camera with him as he needs it for his module work.
So i need a camera to take some nice photos - i want something that is very easy to use but something that gives nice quality - i am not one for going in to settings and changing this that and the other - just something that is easy and quick to use.
have been looking at Olympus Evolt E500 but to be honest i really need some good advice as there are so many cameras out there its very hard to know what to go for.

budget wise i am willing to go around the £300 pound mark as this is the final bit of kit i am buying for now so it needs to be good in all weathers and sturdy.
Many thanks in advance

rockfordstone

Reaction score
a Nikon D3300 would be a good budget starter, and if you are still planning to be mainly video work it would last you a fair while. i think the video on the 3300 is pretty decent these days.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is old you can get a more up date camera. What camera did your son have because I would go for the same make so you can swap lenses with him. I use a canon and for 300 quid your looking at an EOS1200 but you could pick second hand 60D's for around that as well. My advice is but the best you can afford but remember we are not a Photography Forum so you might want to check one of those out as well. People here will just tell you to buy the same as them or what they would like to buy.

tazong

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind advice , I was using a Nikon coolpix that had a fixed lense,I do realise there will be many different ideas and opinions of what to buy but I am 99 percent sure I will buy one from one of these recommendations.
I am not all that clued up on cameras and it's a deep ocean of them out there

So any advice is good advice.
Thank you

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy from abroad, you've no idea what you're getting no comeback and you'll get stung for 20% extra import tax on top of the price you pay on ebay.

Also you will never use the 55-200 for urbex photography.

tazong

Reaction score
Ok thank you - would it be best just to buy new from this country in that case - should i not consider a used camera - i have seen some but i am buying now as a long term use so dont want to make the wrong buy?

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
New or used, your choice, but a used camera body is always a risk. Used lenses not so much.

urban-dorset

Reaction score
I'd suggest that if you buy used, buy from this country and either from someone like Amazon (or a trusted 3rd party seller on there AND based in the UK) or from a proper camera shop where you will get a guarantee.

There are some websites that appear to be in the UK and have very low prices but they are, in fact, not in this country and if you Google them you find loads of bad reviews. If the prices are significantly lower than anywhere else, that is why! Also, if things go wrong you won't get any support from the camera manufacturer if you buy from outside the UK, as the warranties these companies offer are not recognised by Nikon, Canon etc.

Wex Photographic are online and do some used cameras, they're in the UK, have loads of choice and they're trustworthy. Sometimes a bit pricey though. You can also ask them for no obligation advice. I've bought various items from them over the years and have always been pleased. Same with Amazon and Dale Photographic, although Dale now seem to be quite pricey.

tazong

Reaction score
Can I just say a massive thank you to everyone who gave me all the great advice,you really have helped me make a easy decision on what camera to buy.
I have decided to go for the Nikon d 3300 and am going to buy brand new.
Currys and Argos have this camera for sale at 279.99 and I think that's a great price for a great camera.
Going to buy today as I doing some explores tomorrow,thank you everyone for your help.

SlimJim

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Can I just say a massive thank you to everyone who gave me all the great advice,you really have helped me make a easy decision on what camera to buy.
I have decided to go for the Nikon d 3300 and am going to buy brand new.
Currys and Argos have this camera for sale at 279.99 and I think that's a great price for a great camera.
Going to buy today as I doing some explores tomorrow,thank you everyone for your help.

Good on you mate :D I got a Nikon on the basis that I know people that have had them for years, standing up to quite a beating and they still keep on going. Don't forget to get a UV filter or something similar to protect the lens from mishaps and an LCD cover for the screen. That's a decent price for that model too, I think they were £360 when I was looking at them. Have fun squire :)

tazong

Reaction score
Well i bought my nikon 3300 and so far am very very happy with it - cant wait to use it on some explores tommorow.
I do have a question and i may come across a bit thick here because for the life of me i can not figure out what i am doing wrong.
I also bought a 52mm uv filter to protect the lens but it will not screw on - i honestly have tried everything and have been gentle on it as a little baby in my arms its almost like its just floating on the top and will not screw in.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am uploading a video now and will post as soon as uploaded - to show the problem

Last edited:

tazong

Reaction score

Update when i bought the camera i actually did pick up a 55mm uv filter and the so called expert in the shop said no you dont want a 55mm you need a 52mm - it turns out the filter i picked up was right and he gave me the wrong size - after work tommorrow i am going back to the shop - I really hope for his sake he is not working that day.
Expert my ass

Last edited:

Hugh Jorgan

Reaction score
Well done on your recent purchase. You should have told the sales "expert" that its for another camera. But you did look at the lens on the camera where it will tell you. You did? The UV filter comes in handy as it can stay permanently on your own lens to protect it. After all, its cheaper to replace a UV filter than a lens.

tazong

Reaction score
Well done on your recent purchase. You should have told the sales "expert" that its for another camera. But you did look at the lens on the camera where it will tell you. You did? The UV filter comes in handy as it can stay permanently on your own lens to protect it. After all, its cheaper to replace a UV filter than a lens.

To be fair to him he did look on the lens but it did not say but it does say 55mm on the inside of the lens cap - What got me so confused is on all the online reviews it does say its a 52mm uv lens but i have noticed the lens i have is not the same as the online reviews so maybe thats why the confusion has set in.
Maybe the lens is a new upgrade to the old one and thats why the size is different.
Whats annoyed me is i picked up the right one and he said i had the wrong one and he said he was the expert?
What a T%£t
So now i have to drive 14 miles again to replace what i should have had in the first place.