Needles Old Battery, Sea Level Fort - Isle of Wight - July 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Mole

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Ok me, Dan and Ben decided to go and visit this today, as this is the part that isnt open to the public due to access.
Its a sea level fort, part of the needles old battery(not the new battery).
We planned the tide just right, as it was quite a trek to get to it, the tide was on its way out as we walked along the coast, so gave us enough time to visit and get back before it came back in again, unlike the guys at Tenby ;)

Lots of history in the links here;
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-theneedlesoldbattery/
and
http://www.theneedlesbattery.org.uk/

Ok heres a bit of history on the sea level fort;
The fort was opened in 1864, and in 1887 a lift shaft had been dug from the ditch to sea level. A tunnel from the shaft led to five emplacements in the north face of the cliff. The likely use was for quick firing guns to combat torpedo boats. During the 1890-92 searchlight experiments, a searchlight was experimentally installed in one emplacement and two 6-pounder QF guns were tried out in the others in 1892. Visibility was too restricted for the guns(which were removed) but a "sentry beam" searchlight was installed in 1899 and used in WW1. In 1891-92 casemated engine and test rooms were built in the east wall of the ditch. A robey engine(whose two boilers survive) was installed underground to power the lift shaft and searchlight via a dynamo. The test room was the firing point for EC mines. The terrible heat underground (150 deg F in an hour) led to the buildin gof a new engine room in the ditch about 1900, with a coal store above. In 1899 the western SM cell, was converted into a searchlight position but the light was too elavated above sea level to be effective. It had been removed by 1914. In 1915 a Campbell oil engine was installed in the lift house to power the lift, replacing the steam engines. A store for 600-gallon tanks of paraffin was built across the ditch.
In 1941 two Lister diesel generators were installed to light the Needles batteries and another was added in 1943 to power a new "sentry beam" in a former sea level QF gun emplacement. A new electric lift gave access from 1944. A natural underground reservior pumped water for both Needles abtteries after 1887.

Well on with the pics I suppose :mrgreen:

map1.jpg

Heres a map of the Old Needles battery, the red being the sea level bit we visited.

rocketsite.jpg

A comic picture thats on display in the battery showing the generatos and lift.

TheNeedleslookoutW-1.jpg

What the battery looks like from the sea.

seafort01.jpg

Anyone whos been to Alum Bay will know the amount of steps you have to encounter to get to the beach :(
The Needles in the distance, and sea level fort about center.

seafort02.jpg

Making the trek over the rocks.

seafort03.jpg

Looking back at the coloured sands of Alum Bay.
Chair lift in 4th pic, in the middle of the 4 boats.

seafort04.jpg

Engaging water and slippery rocks.

seafort05.jpg

Another obsticle.

seafort06.jpg

Getting further away from the bay.

seafort07.jpg

The approach to the fort, the search light position.

seafort08.jpg

First up to the entrance, looking down on my comrades :p

seafort09.jpg

After various rock slides, its a bit of a squeeze getting in.

seafort10.jpg

Were in, main gate on the right, not really seen in the pic.

seafort11.jpg

More tunnel system.

seafort12.jpg

One of the QF gun emplacements.

seafort13.jpg

Looking out of the search light position.

seafort14.jpg

And again, with Hurst Castle and Fort Albert in the distance.

seafort15.jpg

Traditional spider shot.

seafort17.jpg

Another QF gun emplacement.

seafort16.jpg

Close up, blocked by a rock slide.

seafort20.jpg

Pumping machine, for the fresh water.

seafort19.jpg

The electric motor that powered it.

seafort18.jpg

Balanced weights, possibly for the lift.

seafort21.jpg

The lift shaft that leads to the surface of the Old Needles Battery.

seafort22.jpg

More tunnels.

seafort29.jpg

The fresh water reservior, I had to make it ripple as is was so clear, it was invisible.

seafort23.jpg

The entrance and gate, again.

seafort24.jpg

Another QF gun emplacement.

seafort25.jpg

Close up, with more rocks blocking the view.

Thats it inside, now for the trek back again.

seafort26.jpg

Tides out now, showing the wonderful shore line.

seafort27.jpg

An old car engine.

seafort28.jpg

Looking back as the sun sets.

Hope you like.
Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:
ooooooooooooh, now this I do like, love all those tunnels, and the electric generator. And the views are fantastic. Not too sure about the spider tho, that looks scary :S Love the lift shaft pic, did you attempt to climb the lift shaft?

Excellent pics, like the comic pictures showing the lift system.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Great explore!

By the way, as you are walking along the cliff-top road heading out towards the Old Battery, IIRC on the left hand side there is at least one set of steel doors cut into the cliff face. Do you happen to know what is behind them?

Jeeses didn't know that was there I have my holidays on the island every year and always stop of at alum bay for a quick round of crazy golf and the bus upto the battery! I would of thought that was linked to the museum part..

beautifull pics, fancy showing an explorer around later this year ??? pm me m8 would love to see this...

PM sent matey :)

Same for anyone else too, if you fancy seeing any of these places Ive posted about, let me know, I dont mind revisiting :mrgreen:

Helicopter rescues pair trapped on rocks
By Ross Findon - Wednesday, August 20, 2008
A PAIR of walkers trapped on rocks at Alum Bay sparked a large-scale rescue effort last night (Tuesday).
The man and woman, both 27 and from Arreton, were trapped by the tide and choppy waters at around 8pm.
Coastguard teams from Freshwater, Yarmouth and The Needles were called to the scene, along with Yarmouth all-weather lifeboat.
A small launch from the lifeboat attempted to rescue the pair, but the sea was too rough.
A crew member joined the pair on the rocks, while the lifeboat lit the scene.
The coastguard helicopter arrived and winched the pair to safety, along with the lifeboatman.
The walkers were cold, but did not need hospital treatment, according to a Solent Coastguard spokeswoman.
Were you the walkers trapped on the rocks, or do you know who they were? Please call the County Press newsdesk on 522210.

Taken from our local paper - http://www.iwcp.co.uk/News/Helicopter_rescues_pair_trapped_on_rocks.aspx

This pair were rescued right at the entrance of the sea level fort :neutral:
It seems people still underestimate the tide :confused:

Latest posts

Back