New to Cheshire and looking to get creative!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pomelo

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for having me here. I have recently moved to the Northwest and I'm looking to find some great locations for photography. I love the look of Cheadle Mill but I believe it has been converted to flats :( I'm hoping I can find and share some amazing locations with you guys. I'm looking in North Wales, Chester, Wirral, Liverpool and Manchester. Can anyone get me off to a good start?

Lovely to meet you all! xx

First off, congratulations on your area upgrade, you will only be a probationary citizen for at least 10 years (this is to make sure there is no Yorkshireness about you) so remember, we are watching you 👀

Now, asking for info is actually against forum rules but, since you are nearly a northerner I'll forgive you this once, do it again and you be banished to errrr Luton.

Google is your friend (unless you have a huawei) ((other Chinese sniper phones are available)) so Google something like "abandoned places in Wales, Cheshire, wirral, Liverpool or Burnley.

Look at posts on this forum and you'll get lots of ideas

Then try google maps, and you'll soon start to find places

Have fun x

First off, congratulations on your area upgrade, you will only be a probationary citizen for at least 10 years (this is to make sure there is no Yorkshireness about you) so remember, we are watching you 👀

Now, asking for info is actually against forum rules but, since you are nearly a northerner I'll forgive you this once, do it again and you be banished to errrr Luton.

Google is your friend (unless you have a huawei) ((other Chinese sniper phones are available)) so Google something like "abandoned places in Wales, Cheshire, wirral, Liverpool or Burnley.

Look at posts on this forum and you'll get lots of ideas

Then try google maps, and you'll soon start to find places

Have fun x
Haaaa wai the lads!

oh heck, I broke the rules on day one! I’m a Geordie so a tiny bit more northern but hoping for less wind, snow, hail and tornado within the hour

I actually shoot fitness people but I’m more interested in the epic locations and that either makes me either very good or very terrible at photographing people.

Now Luton I do know. I’m absolutely not breaking the rules again!

Thank you for the lovely welcome when I’ve been one of those annoying new people who hasn’t bothered to behave within the spirit of the community on day one! (Unintentionally)!

xx

Haaaa wai the lads!

oh heck, I broke the rules on day one! I’m a Geordie so a tiny bit more northern but hoping for less wind, snow, hail and tornado within the hour

I actually shoot fitness people but I’m more interested in the epic locations and that either makes me either very good or very terrible at photographing people.

Now Luton I do know. I’m absolutely not breaking the rules again!

Thank you for the lovely welcome when I’ve been one of those annoying new people who hasn’t bothered to behave within the spirit of the community on day one! (Unintentionally)!

xx
Have a good look through the posts on this forum and ahem, other forums to get some ideas of the places you want then do a little research on Google and Google maps, you will be surprised what a few mins go ogling things in a certain area can throw up.
Take some shots and chuck a report up. That's probably the best advice I can give you.

May I enquire as to what part of the NW you now are lucky enough to reside?

Some years ago I did a permission visit to Capenhurst on the Wirral. In its heyday it was the single largest industrial building in Europe and housed a massive gaseous diffusion plant for enriching Uranium to weapons grade. At that time it was being decomissioned but I was lucky enough to be given a brief glimpse of one of the thousands of stages along the line. The filters used still remain a closely guarded military secret. There was (and may still be) a strange cylindrical tower on the site that was allegedly used for intercepting transatlantic comms when it was in its microwave form, prior to going by undersea cable. Not sure if it's still an active nuclear site (there was centrifuge enrichment going on when I was there) but 25 years later it might be worth investigating further.

Some years ago I did a permission visit to Capenhurst on the Wirral. In its heyday it was the single largest industrial building in Europe and housed a massive gaseous diffusion plant for enriching Uranium to weapons grade. At that time it was being decomissioned but I was lucky enough to be given a brief glimpse of one of the thousands of stages along the line. The filters used still remain a closely guarded military secret. There was (and may still be) a strange cylindrical tower on the site that was allegedly used for intercepting transatlantic comms when it was in its microwave form, prior to going by undersea cable. Not sure if it's still an active nuclear site (there was centrifuge enrichment going on when I was there) but 25 years later it might be worth investigating further.

Im assuming this was long enough back that you dont have any pics? shame sounds interesting

Im assuming this was long enough back that you dont have any pics? shame sounds interesting
Photos not allowed sadly. That year my wife and I spent a good part of our holiday visiting those nuclear sites in the north that allowed vistors. Went around the east and northern coasts of Scotland to visit Dounreay, which was still making power (just), then down the west coast as far as Cumbria to Sellafield when the visitors' centre and bus tours of the site were still a thing, finishing at the Wirral and Capenhurst, the latter being a one-off specially organised through the PR department.
It's a different world now and I suspect none of this would be possible any more.

Have a good look through the posts on this forum and ahem, other forums to get some ideas of the places you want then do a little research on Google and Google maps, you will be surprised what a few mins go ogling things in a certain area can throw up.
Take some shots and chuck a report up. That's probably the best advice I can give you.

May I enquire as to what part of the NW you now are lucky enough to reside?
That's great advice, thank you so much. I'm in Chester. So I'm close enough to try and track down Upton farm which has the Machinery I'm interested in. My heart isn't in studio shooting, I like to be on location finding unique, gritty things to do something more punch packing! The different between me just using a camera and creating with it (insert flexed bicep emoji). I can't find this place for love nor money.

I'm thinking I can't drop my instagram on here without losing a limb ;) I even asked on there for local knowledge but no cigar as of yet.

I'm going to see if Mayfields in Manchester has been redeveloped yet, and Newsham Hospital in Liverpool :)

That's great advice, thank you so much. I'm in Chester. So I'm close enough to try and track down Upton farm which has the Machinery I'm interested in. My heart isn't in studio shooting, I like to be on location finding unique, gritty things to do something more punch packing! The different between me just using a camera and creating with it (insert flexed bicep emoji). I can't find this place for love nor money.

I'm thinking I can't drop my instagram on here without losing a limb ;) I even asked on there for local knowledge but no cigar as of yet.

I'm going to see if Mayfields in Manchester has been redeveloped yet, and Newsham Hospital in Liverpool :)
Mayfields is a tour now and newsham Park is a ghost tour 🙄

You can drop Yr insta on here for me if anyone else has a problem I'm sure they'll speak up

Mayfields is a tour now and newsham Park is a ghost tour 🙄
Urg. They probably won’t appreciate me rocking up with my high expectations then! What a shame, we’d create something so good in there! I will check out the Baltic quarter whilst we have the weather and then all is not lost. I haven’t found one cool abandoned place to shoot yet. I’m usually a hunting ninja! And dive and I’ll find it! :D

Urg. They probably won’t appreciate me rocking up with my high expectations then! What a shame, we’d create something so good in there! I will check out the Baltic quarter whilst we have the weather and then all is not lost. I haven’t found one cool abandoned place to shoot yet. I’m usually a hunting ninja! And dive and I’ll find it! :D
Cheshire is not really NW its more like a posh Birmingham

North Wirral Brickworks is worth a look. Not sure if I posted a report way back.

IMG_0020.JPG

Latest posts

Back