New Users & Private Messages

Help Support Derelict Places:

Status
Not open for further replies.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to increasing levels of spam, harassment and other negative uses of the Private Message (PM) system I have decided to stop new users from using it until they become active members of the site. This should vastly cut down on the number of unsolicited and spam messages members receive.

To clarify, all newly registered users start off in the "New User" usergroup, and automatically get moved into the "Regular User" group once they have been a member for a certain length of time and have made some posts on the forum. From now on members will only gain access to the PM system once they have move into the "Regular User" group.

So, if you are a new user and would like to send PMs, you need to stick around a while and make some posts on the forum. Why not make an introduction thread, or have a read of some location reports and post some feedback? Or maybe even post a location report of your own! Once you fulfill the number of days as a new member and number of posts made criteria you will automatically be moved into the regular user group and you will have access to the PM system.

Apologies if this change removes PM permissions from existing new members and breaks some conversations you're already having, I'm afraid there's no way around that. But I do feel this change will make a positive difference to contributing members who are the lifeblood of the site after all.

If you have any concerns/feedback give me a shout, (if you can't use the PM system to talk to me use this contact form).

Cheers,

Ben.

Last edited:

mockingbird

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is a good idea, some nice changes happening at the moment, the amount of PM's ive received from (new members) asking for locations or the general odd topic of (I would like to use your photos) was becoming annoying, and it flooded the inbox out, so good call on this!

Kezz44

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Have to agree on this one. Good idea. Annoying when people just join to ask you for locations and have never made a post!

WenglandWanderer

Reaction score
Wengland Wanderers

Hi there i was wondering if you could help me i would like to add a thread with a few pics? and also my PM is deactivated ,we are a genuine group of lads that share this account and we just want to share our experiences with other genuine users. Thanks Dane.

Sclooby

Reaction score
As a "new user" personally I don't have a problem with this, I originally joined because because a far flung relative had bought a place and "done it up" and I used the search facility to find some of the before photo's, however I found all the members contributions fascinating, you never know the bog standard cameras in the van and one day I might just find somewhere to tempt me to post!
Thanks all from an oldie who reminisces on some of the things in the photos but finds all the contributions fascinating in there own way

The Wombat

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Good move Krela
I think most of us have been approached by a 'hit and runner' before.
Im sure the people with a genuine interest will contribute and stick around long enough...

MrDan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable rule a lil miffed I can't post pm at the mo but hey ho it's a good rule that prevents us from feeding those who don't want use the forums for their intended purpose ... I guess ill just wait a while

Stick around, you'll be able to before you know it :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts