Nocton Hospital March 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirtyfootscrew

Reaction score
NOTE: this is a slightly edited (for the sake of rules) version of the report on the Sick Britain blog, please note that all photos have large sizes - just click on them to see the Flickr page and choose 'All Sizes'.

There are two possible explores at Nocton, one is Nocton Hall and the other is the enormous former 740-bed RAF Hospital, I went for the latter and passed by the hall as I had limited time and the lure of an abandoned RAF hospital was just too much! You can see a glimpse of the hall through the fence here...

At first I had a poke around some of the nearby buildings and a few Anderson shelters before heading towards the nearer edge of the site, at this point I pulled back because that area is easily visible from the houses and flats in the distance and I didn’t want to blow my cover this early! After looking around a few of the other buildings in near the gate I headed rightwards.

It’s easy to underestimate this place at first but Nocton is truly massive - space isn’t really a problem in Lincolnshire so almost all of the buildings are single storey and if you imagine a combined RAF base and 740-bed hospital it ends up being an extremely large site. Inside the main body of the facility there are a series of long corridors, in what appears to be the main building there’s a large corridor running down from front to back (i.e. from the gate end straight forward) which is then crossed by long corridors running to the left and right at several intersections down the main corridor.

The walls contain directions around the site in the form of coloured stripes and every now and again you see a red bar hanging from the ceiling showing which department you’re at, in my time there the only labelled bits I made it to were the pharmacy, path lab, surgical ward and gynaecology department. Pretty much all of the rooms across the site are large and empty, it’s reasonably clear to see where an area would have been full of beds (i.e. a standard ward) and where there would’ve been a series of private rooms with beds but some of the areas are a bit ‘different’ and have some interesting little quirks. One of the more interesting buildings I found must have been some kind of administrative block and housed a giant safe, seemingly impossible to get into now but the door is still there and the whole unit is at least the size of a normal door. The place must have housed sensitive documents and military secrets, I’m not sure exactly when Nocton closed down but it’s intriguing to think about whether there’s still some classified material stashed away in there!

Across the whole of the base there are in excess of 50 buildings (see Google Maps) so there’s quite a lot of work to be done if you want to cover the whole place. I only skimmed the surface really but I think I managed to rush my way in and out of most of the major areas (but certainly not every building in each area). In terms of safety I saw a couple of signs and even some graffiti pointing out that there is asbestos present on the site so make sure you go in there wearing a P3 dust mask.

I picked mine up at Screwfix for about £5, there are cheaper P3 masks but don’t compromise your safety by using a lower rated (or unrated) mask or by using some other fabric to cover your mouth - if it doesn’t work out you could end up with serious illness down the line. Otherwise I thought that most of the surroundings, floors, ceilings and the occasional staircase all seemed relatively intact - it doesn’t mean they all are though so keep your wits sharp and don’t forget to read the Urbex Safety post.

After exploring for nearly a couple of hours I began to get one of those ’sixth sense’ feelings that I’d overstayed my welcome and decided to leave, I took my time traversing the site and popped into a few areas on the way but I was fully intending to head off the site. I’d gotten this strange vibe that maybe I wasn’t alone on the site, it’s hard to explain why as I hadn’t heard any voices and sites like this always have strange noises (doors creaking/banging, pipes rattling, etc.). I wouldn’t say that I was worried as it was a windy day which will increase that sort of ‘natural’ activity and besides the only people likely to be on the site would be other people exploring and I’ve always found other explorers to be polite and courteous (if not slightly suspicious!) but something deep inside me told me that I really ought to leave and it’s always worth listening to your instinct.

I also managed to make this stereoscopic image there - to view the image in 3D, sit 2-3 feet from the screen and gently cross your eyes so that the two images become three. The one in the middle will be in 3d. If you are finding this difficult, you may be trying too hard.

Superb photos and write-up...I really enjoyed reading your account of the explore as well as the info.
Love that first pic of the hall.
Cheers, tfs. :)

I did alot of work there in the 80s when the americans were there we did most of the pipe insulation in the grounds and the corridors and plant rooms for wrights of lincoln mechanical company

I've put up a video on YouTube of the first part of my Nocton Hospital explore: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViThH52ma44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViThH52ma44[/ame].

Great vid - liked the pics and the write up too. Thanks.

You say that you only scratched the surface, you saw a lot of things we didn't and we were in there nearly all day - this site is so massive!

I've finished with the videos now, the second shows more of the outside and the interior of a few little buildings...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uta25xkKpx0[/ame]

... whilst the third shows much of the interior of the main building...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID1WE8pwoAI[/ame]

Hope you enjoy, it was fun putting them together at least!

Back