Norfolks lost railways..

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool report mate :) Some really nice shots. Like the bridges and that enquiry room is lovely.

thank you all.i do try my besr.the enquiry room was my favourite part.and a really good find..glad it bought back memories for you ds.i bet all the infrastructure was still there when you worked on the lines checking.sorry about the cattle grid mistake.no you are right.i know exavtly what they are.so much info going through my head it slipped.trying to do other things as well.drove over cattle grids many times.especially going through large country estates.

What an amazing collection of images that I truly appreciate would have taken some time to put capture and put together! Your passion really shines through Mikey!

Its admirable that you have put so much thought into this project, researching and documenting the railway tracks and all their little buildings and artefacts scattered along the lines, beautiful iron and brick bridges, platforms and old tracks, boxes for pumps and phones, its just superb! Unless you have actually spent some time investigating and revisiting places and putting together a real extensive collection of an area its difficult to understand the energy that goes into something like this...its not a one off visit and simply ticking boxes!

I'm bowing down to you right this min! Fascinating and time well spent Mikey!:applause:

As always interesting comments from an ex British Railways Board director. But, alas Dirus most bridges, the ones I know of have been turned into cycle paths, particularly around Stirlingshire. But Mikey, I have fount a raft of pictures on a Flicker page with pictures of derelict railway stations around England. Most of the pictures have been taken in the seventies. Here's the link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-pelican-railways/albums

As always interesting comments from an ex British Railways Board director

I wish I had been a bloody Director! Sadly they only employed me as a Manager - fun times though back then. It's a rather strange feeling to see a building that one worked long hours in, occasionally appear on one of the Forums in a very battered state.

I wish I had been a bloody Director! Sadly they only employed me as a Manager - fun times though back then. It's a rather strange feeling to see a building that one worked long hours in, occasionally appear on one of the Forums in a very battered state.

Ah, my apologies. Since privatisation the private rail companies tend to go for a cheaper option for their offices sadly leaving historical buildings to dereliction or to rent.

Like everyone else I'd just like to say what a great project/write up this is. The thing I like most is that you get to see familiar places from a different place and perspective (historical and visual). You've done something I hope to do in the future as regards walking/biking these routes (would like to start with the old North Walsham to Cromer line) so this is a great inspiration.

Last edited:
Great effort there mate, really enjoyed every picture, made me want to go there, thanks for taking the time and posting.
Regards Rob.

Nice report - one small correction - the "County" station on the mid Norfolk line is actually "County School"

That's fantastic Mikey.
Lovely set of pics and fantastic history.
Thanks for putting the time and effort into this it's well worth it mate.

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I only just came across this one...and it's brilliant. I really enjoyed the journey and seeing all the interesting things you found on the way. I did a tour of one of my local defunct branch lines but it was miniscule compared to yours. It took several trips by tram, bus and walking to get it all though, so I have an inkling of the amount of work you did. Excellent, Mikey. Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Back