North End Odeon (Art Deco Cinema), Portsmouth

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an excellent explore. Love seeing all those throwback switchs, and buttons etc. good to see the front of the former balcony in the upstairs cinema shot.

Excellent work, glad they have to keep the front part, but sad that the rest could be going. Agree with the others, that screen 4 is just :sick::sick::sick:

Cheers,

:) Sal

Agree with the others, that screen 4 is just :sick::sick::sick:

Even with the throw-away masks on we were struggling to breath sometimes with the damp and mould in the air, it was rancid. As soon as I got home I had to chuck all my clothes in the wash straight away and have a bath.

A great report and fascinating pics. These old cinemas had a certain magic about them, even when they are mouldy! ;)

I've got family in Portsmouth......

I fancy a weekend away too :)

Where can I find this ? Hope its not been locked down too much yet ?

Really great report, thanks. Ive never been the cinema before, but I think it make you think of every cinema you have ever been to before especially the screen 4 thing. When you walk past the attendant with your ticket, as you walk to your screen there are always loads of other doors, Ive always wondered where they lead.

Thanks for posting these.

Two days ago I went to a cinema for the first time since this explore to see The Dark Knight.

It was f*cking freaky being in a live one after being in that, even with all the noise and the masses of people all I could see or hear was absolute emptiness. Amazing!

Please note that i am in portsmouth so anyone wanting to see if the place is "doable" drop me a message (work permitting)
#

Great shots, dude.

Just wondering if my flickr group (Portsmouth at Night) can tie-up with you to trek around this amazing place for some nocturnal shots? We have a weekly meet every Wednesday - and this looks good - if it's still accesible. Let me know if you'll be able to help us access the place - it'll be a cracking experience, mate.

Here's the flickr group link :

http://www.flickr.com/groups/portsmouthatnight/

Cheers!

Elmer:)

I've been a member of that flickr group for aaaaaaages now, although I've not lived in Portsmouth the last few months. :(

I don't think it's still do-able, I believe it's been locked down pretty tight.

However if you have a word with duckandcover he might be able to shed some more light on it. If you guys can find a way then I'd definitely be up for making the trip down to do it again.

OK, so this thread is a few months old, but I have to say this is an excellent report, coupled with some fabulous pictures. Very much enjoyed reading this.

I had a look recently and I believe the original access is still there, although it's a right effort to get to it. Count me in if anyone is thinking of cracking this beast again.

The cinema in Cosham would be a good'un as well, although being in chav central the police are over it like flies on sh*t if there's any sign of someone trying it on.

I had a look recently and I believe the original access is still there, although it's a right effort to get to it. Count me in if anyone is thinking of cracking this beast again.

The cinema in Cosham would be a good'un as well, although being in chav central the police are over it like flies on sh*t if there's any sign of someone trying it on.

PM me if you want some advice. :)

Nicely done, i'd have a Cinema-gasm after exploring that lot! :mrgreen:

Ha ha, I was just thinking the same thing, I love old cinemas and this is a great report. That mouldy phone book is minging!

Awesome Report!!

Do you have a closure date? Also, can you tell me the prices on the combos at the Kiosk, so i can compare them to the current ones (I work for odeon).

Back