Not a New Explorer.. more reaching out for a partner (Lancashire area)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobberchops

Reaction score
Hi,

I am from Rishton, near Blackburn and have been exploring for over a year now. I post primarily on the STEEM blockchain as I like to get something back for my work in terms of a monitory reward, but I will post some excerpts here as that is the way to build up trust I hear.

I do believe links are not allowed so I will water down my posts as they tend to be wordy (700 words or so) and have a LOT of images.

As I said, the reason for my post is to get some contacts, not to reveal locations but to co-explore as I don't like to solo mills and other such creepy places.., one reason is they are too creepy, the other is for safety reasons. Falling through dodgy floors and dropping your phone is not so much fun.

I'm not a young 17 year old, and so can’t leap up buildings ten feet above me, but am also not out of shape. I know some climbing is required at times.

Thanks for reading, and hoping someone local to me will reach out. Safety in numbers I say.

Slobberchops (not as scary as the image I portray... honest!)

Can someone explain to an OAP what language this is in please ...... ?

Steem. It is a blockchain-based social media platform where anyone can earn rewards by posting relevant content, curating quality content by upvoting and by holding Steem based currencies in a vest fund, which generates interest. (In simple terms).

"I post primarily on the STEEM blockchain as I like to get something back for my work in terms of a monitory reward"

Why is everyone so against this?

The whole community appears to react negatively when I mention such things. On 28dayslater I have already been accused of shilling. Can I just wipe all your brains and pretend you don't know about STEEM? I didn't come here for that, despite what anyone thinks.

But.... should hours of work in reconnaissance, scoping out, entering and photographing places, writing 500-700 words per article with historical notes all be done for FREE because the general community demands that?

I know am I on away ground here and going to get slammed down but the elitist attitude makes me want to wretch.

Come to my world and I won't look down on you..., but I know you won't.

Last edited:
"I post primarily on the STEEM blockchain as I like to get something back for my work in terms of a monitory reward"

But.... should hours of work in reconnaissance, scoping out, entering and photographing places, writing 500-700 words per article with historical notes all be done for FREE because the general community demands that?

OK. Let me help explain some people's attitudes, mine included. We are in the age where YouTubers and their monitised channels sensationalise Urbex sites. Ultimately Urbex is a covert hobby. This, for me, is at odds with what these fame-chasing YouTubers do, spending more time in front of the lense than actually showing the site they are 'exploring'. I too spend "hours of work in reconnaissance, scoping out, entering and photographing places, writing 500-700 words per article with historical notes". I do it for free because it is my HOBBY and I like contributing to the general community.

Last edited:
Yep what HughieD said.
Why not just share everything on here instead of or as well as this STEEM?

OK. Let me help explain some people's attitudes, mine included. We are in the age where YouTubers and their monitised channels sensationalise Urbex sites. Ultimately Urbex is a covert hobby. This, for me, is at odds with what these fame-chasing YouTubers do, spending more time in front of the lense than actually showing the site they are 'exploring'. I too spend "hours of work in reconnaissance, scoping out, entering and photographing places, writing 500-700 words per article with historical notes". I do it for free because it is my HOBBY and I like contributing to the general community.

I am not a YouTuber, I don't do videos and my mugshots are never part of my reports. I don't want to be seen either TBH, I would rather keep my image covert. I think we are on the same wavelength in this respect.

>I do it for free because it is my HOBBY and I like contributing to the general community.

I hear this from others besides you. I have no idea how much the YT guys make and don't want to. The 'other community' I will cease to mention provides incentives for writing and content. If you want to do it for FREE then it is your choice, but as far as sensationalising all this, well that's not me.

The audience on 'this other place' are not Urbex people but general bloggers but appreciate what I do. That's all I really want, appreciation. The 'money'.. well, as I said on 28days, I can earn more flipping burgers at McDonalds. It's not the primary reason I write but I don't see it as the evil your guys appear to portray it as.

Yep what HughieD said.
Why not just share everything on here instead of or as well as this STEEM?

Maybe I will. If I don't get flayed alive for what my content is made up of.

You see my writing is a little unusual and tells a story which is factual but adds some humour. I don't know whether it would be appreciated here.

I don't reveal locations, I don't reveal access points and I stick with the code.. and yes I know mentioning STE.. er.. 'that other place' is strictly off the cards.

Blimey ..... ! A post with more than two replies, Slobberchops you have achieved more with your first post than most seasoned DP'ers could hope to achieve by finding a derlict secret underworld formally governed by deformed wasps ..... !

We like reports too! The board lives or dies by there being a vibrant community of explorers who share experiences.

And why would you get flayed alive? That sounds a little dramatic.

Oh.. it's just my experience on 28dayslater with a certain someone. I know your not all the same, it feels better here already.

The board lives or dies by there being a vibrant community of explorers who share experiences.

Also, all the forums live or die by the quality of content, whether it's good photography, detailed research into a site's history, or just an interesting tale of how the explore went. Plus points if you find places that haven't been posted to death… :)

Why is everyone so against this?

I know am I on away ground here and going to get slammed down but the elitist attitude makes me want to wretch.

Honestly? Monetisation completely undermines the whole community.

It's not elitism, it's protecting the buildings and activities that we love.

You might argue that monetisation sustains your ability to do what you love, it's not a cheap hobby after all, but this is exceptionally short term and singular minded. We have already witnessed the erosion of freedoms regarding exploring urban environments over the last 15 years as a direct result of the increased security and public interest in these sites thanks to an increased number of paid-for articles and monetised (and sensationalised) Youtube videos and "personalities" across social media platforms to a far wider audience than there ever used to be. Many of us have witnessed huge detrimental changes over the years thanks to this.

I don't see it as the evil your guys appear to portray it as.

Maybe you should try listening to a whole community of people who have been doing this for decades in some cases.

I mean I get that after a year of exploring you think you know it all, but seriously take a second and consider other peoples points of view. Especially when they have a lot more experience in a particular field than you do. You'll generally find that the more experienced an explorer the less they post online precisely because they've seen first hand the detriment it can cause. In fact some of the most experienced explorers I know stopped posting online all together about 8 years ago after a couple of court cases, but they carry on doing stuff that would blow people's minds.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am from Rishton, near Blackburn and have been exploring for over a year now. I post primarily on the STEEM blockchain as I like to get something back for my work in terms of a monitory reward, but I will post some excerpts here as that is the way to build up trust I hear.

I do believe links are not allowed so I will water down my posts as they tend to be wordy (700 words or so) and have a LOT of images.

As I said, the reason for my post is to get some contacts, not to reveal locations but to co-explore as I don't like to solo mills and other such creepy places.., one reason is they are too creepy, the other is for safety reasons. Falling through dodgy floors and dropping your phone is not so much fun.

I'm not a young 17 year old, and so can’t leap up buildings ten feet above me, but am also not out of shape. I know some climbing is required at times.

Thanks for reading, and hoping someone local to me will reach out. Safety in numbers I say.

Slobberchops (not as scary as the image I portray... honest!)
Shame your not down Swansea way as you could have tagged along with us, been out of it for a few years but looking to get back in. Best wishes.

Back