OAKLANDS CHILDREN'S HOME - LOWTON - AUGUST 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The History
Oaklands was built between 1882-1883, The house was designed by Bolton based architectural firm of Bradshaw & Gass. The house is built of pressed red brick, it is a convolution of architectural styles; Gothic & Queen Anne revival. The house has an octagonal turret & terracotta details around the exterior - On the façade of the house is a plaque which bears the carving ‘EQUAM SERVARE MENTEM’ (to preserve an equal mind). Oaklands was originally built for the Green family - the head of the family being John Green who was a glue & soup manufacturer.

In December 1945, the Primary Education Committee of Lancashire decided to purchase the house to use it as a remand home to accommodate 26 girls. Oakland’s Children’s Home eventually became a boys home & it could accommodate around 29 boys.

A Dark Past…
Oakland’s was run by notorious ex army man Mr Mackey - the Poet & Author, Lemn Sissay revealed the abuse he suffered & witnessed during his time here.

“After arriving - I got my first kicking 3 hours later, Nose broken, 3 ribs & wrist. They didn’t bother with a doctor - Just banged me up for three weeks, I was 12 years old”

Boys were also rumoured to be forced to strip naked & fight while being watched. As early as 1951, potential cases of abuse were highlighted at Oakland’s, In that year a superintendent faced trial for ‘improperly assaulting boys under 16’ . The Children’s Home closed in the early 1990s & in 1992 the building was converted into offices for the use of Wigan Council. Oakland’s was used for this purpose until 2016, In 2020 plans were approved to demolish Oakland’s & build 19 houses & an apartment block containing 6 flats.

The Explore
Sadly this beautiful building is in the middle of demolition - having scouted the property only 1 week earlier there was significant change so I don’t believe this will see the end of the month. Access can be less than ideal depending if you want all the surrounding houses & main roads watching you tackle the double fences & the site is also occupied by building crew.

At the risk of being laughed out the community here - I have to say having solo explored some very creepy places & not being one to be too spooked out generally… the ground floor in this place left me feeling very unnerved. This was not something I experienced exploring any of the other floors in this building but each time I came back to the main floor I was left feeling very uncomfortable - I also had not read the history before hand as I always like to enter with an open mind…

The Photography...

tempImage5zvBjx.png
tempImageh0gn5y.png
tempImage6qOM8o.png
tempImage65Jz2y.png
tempImagedXzp71.png
tempImagegoNw15.png
tempImageAB6tuZ.png
tempImageN7MPnz.png
tempImageHOtp2P.png
tempImageEESjvv.png
tempImageRYK0Iz.png
tempImagenUD5ri.png
tempImagezbaGgc.png
tempImageowQb8Q.png
tempImage42cFPq.png
tempImageoQK4eW.png
tempImage0TQIjD.png
tempImageY0bu8H.png
tempImageReGroL.png
tempImagebKXD41.png
tempImageooFzDT.png
tempImageCnAHZM.png
tempImagewn6yZ8.png
tempImageBD37q6.png
tempImagek1fPF8.png
tempImageQJMBG5.png
tempImageqH63bp.png
tempImage0Nbz16.png
tempImagefN0oAU.png
tempImagega1Hy4.png

Thankyou for reading & enjoy the Decay!
:)

The History
Oaklands was built between 1882-1883, The house was designed by Bolton based architectural firm of Bradshaw & Gass. The house is built of pressed red brick, it is a convolution of architectural styles; Gothic & Queen Anne revival. The house has an octagonal turret & terracotta details around the exterior - On the façade of the house is a plaque which bears the carving ‘EQUAM SERVARE MENTEM’ (to preserve an equal mind). Oaklands was originally built for the Green family - the head of the family being John Green who was a glue & soup manufacturer.

In December 1945, the Primary Education Committee of Lancashire decided to purchase the house to use it as a remand home to accommodate 26 girls. Oakland’s Children’s Home eventually became a boys home & it could accommodate around 29 boys.

A Dark Past…
Oakland’s was run by notorious ex army man Mr Mackey - the Poet & Author, Lemn Sissay revealed the abuse he suffered & witnessed during his time here.

“After arriving - I got my first kicking 3 hours later, Nose broken, 3 ribs & wrist. They didn’t bother with a doctor - Just banged me up for three weeks, I was 12 years old”

Boys were also rumoured to be forced to strip naked & fight while being watched. As early as 1951, potential cases of abuse were highlighted at Oakland’s, In that year a superintendent faced trial for ‘improperly assaulting boys under 16’ . The Children’s Home closed in the early 1990s & in 1992 the building was converted into offices for the use of Wigan Council. Oakland’s was used for this purpose until 2016, In 2020 plans were approved to demolish Oakland’s & build 19 houses & an apartment block containing 6 flats.

The Explore
Sadly this beautiful building is in the middle of demolition - having scouted the property only 1 week earlier there was significant change so I don’t believe this will see the end of the month. Access can be less than ideal depending if you want all the surrounding houses & main roads watching you tackle the double fences & the site is also occupied by building crew.

At the risk of being laughed out the community here - I have to say having solo explored some very creepy places & not being one to be too spooked out generally… the ground floor in this place left me feeling very unnerved. This was not something I experienced exploring any of the other floors in this building but each time I came back to the main floor I was left feeling very uncomfortable - I also had not read the history before hand as I always like to enter with an open mind…

The Photography...
Thanks for sharing love this 👍👍😊

The History

A Dark Past…

The Explore

The Photography...
Nice report and great photos, shame these places all have a very sordid history.

always impresses me with the quality of workmanship in these old buildings most things are made to a price nowadays.

Glue and soup manufacturer lol. I hope they got the stuff in the right tins! The demolition people love places like this, so much archetectural salvage to sell on.

Nice report and great photos, shame these places all have a very sordid history.
Hello
i stayed at Oaklands from Dec 1962 till July 1966, and enjoyed every minute of it, we boys never suffered any physical or mental abuse, Oaklands was run then by Mr Jackson and his wife whom we called Matron, they had a son called Gordon who visited now and then as he lived somewhere else not at the home, i went to school at Golborne Secondary Modern for Boys, maybe we who stayed there during Mr Jacksons tenure were the lucky ones, if it was still standing i could have given you detailed tour but alas its gone….but i still have the good memories from my time there.

Hello
i stayed at Oaklands from Dec 1962 till July 1966, and enjoyed every minute of it, we boys never suffered any physical or mental abuse, Oaklands was run then by Mr Jackson and his wife whom we called Matron, they had a son called Gordon who visited now and then as he lived somewhere else not at the home, i went to school at Golborne Secondary Modern for Boys, maybe we who stayed there during Mr Jacksons tenure were the lucky ones, if it was still standing i could have given you detailed tour but alas its gone….but i still have the good memories from my time there.
It is a real pleasure to read of anything positive about any remand home/borstal/etc. Mrs Jackson sounds like the matrons
I knew at the boarding schools I was sent to.

Such a pity that such a beautiful building has such a sad history, shame it’s been demolished
There was a time when it was thought normal to design elegance and 'beauty' into any building, even a railway station, a pumping station, or a sewage works. Then the brutalism of post-war design took over.
Thankfully, DP explorers are finding examples of old buildings that still exude their good looks, regardless of their actual purposes. Even the slaughterhouse in Bamako, the capital of Mali, had architectural style.

Back