Obligatory 'Giants Chair' shot, Dartmoor, Devon, October '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lycos

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score

No matter where you go exploring, for some reason there always seems to be a random chair that everyone feels obliged to take photo's of,
today was no exception.
This 20ft-tall oak-framed sculpture, is tagged "The Giant's Chair of Natsworthy",
The oversized piece of furniture sits on Higher Natsworthy Farm, near Widecombe-in-the-Moor.
It was the creation of Henry Bruce, 32, an artist who moved to Dartmoor in 2001.
Mr Bruce started out as a furniture maker. While he was building the house where he now lives with his family, he came up with the idea of the giant chair.
The chair was made from locally sourced oak in spring 2006, with the help of local carpenter Joel Hendry.
It took a small crane and hand-winches to put it into position.
The chair was built on private land without planning permission, but after six months came to the attention of Dartmoor planning authority.
Mr Bruce applied for temporary retrospective permission, which was granted – provided it was removed by March 2, 2009, that the timber remained in its natural, untreated state and that no stile or other means of access was created.

Met up with Scotty and Underworld and went off to make the most of a dry day with a trip out onto the moors, we did the typical pub urbex for a quick pint while we got our bearings, and after plenty hunting around (thanks for driving Scotty), we found this one...

01.jpg
02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

05.jpg

Not the usual explore but thought it might be worth posting to raise a few smiles...
I hope it has, thanks for looking,

Lycos.​

i enjoyed this trip to the chair. thought it was great.
much fun climbing it and trying to move around lol.
i dont think underworld was to happy when the big ass cow took a liking to his camera bag and lenses. lol

Hell of a chair good people,gotta go in 2009 eh.Howsabout building a sitting wickerman on it and, well,you know?.Shame to see such a great sculpture go but could be one hell of a party in 2009 .

Back