Old Rectory Care Home, near Cambridge, June 2018

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Hayman, I did think as I was writing it of 'coduroy roads', which I've had on my mind when including a bit of 17th century military engineering in one of my recent novels, but I wasn't sure how better to put it. It's not folded as the long hills are fairly even - much like overgrown ripples on a beach or lines of dunes in the desert, though of a flatter profile, having been worn down by 11,500 odd years of erosion. Heh, it's rekindled my interest in geomorphology, I might have to go see what recent books there are on the subject, since G.H. Dury 'The Face of the Earth' which was, if not cutting edge when I was at school still one of the better books. Being published 1959 it included the then newish studies of continental drift, and the effect of the weight of ice on the earth's crust.
Yup, I'm getting on in years.
I've seen about 'corduroy roads' on TV programmes talking of old back roads in America. The only book on geology I can recall reading was by a man with the surname Mountain! In Africa I and my men built access tracks across streams by using layers of rocks for the water to run between. My two literary efforts - African Odyssey and Black Dragon, Yellow Dragon (both on Kindle, by Eric Hayman) - are meagre compared to your extensive output. And I too am 'mature'.

I've seen about 'corduroy roads' on TV programmes talking of old back roads in America. The only book on geology I can recall reading was by a man with the surname Mountain! In Africa I and my men built access tracks across streams by using layers of rocks for the water to run between. My two literary efforts - African Odyssey and Black Dragon, Yellow Dragon (both on Kindle, by Eric Hayman) - are meagre compared to your extensive output. And I too am 'mature'.
heh, your writing is less lightweight than mine, I think. Love the idea of a guy called 'Mountain' writing a geology book. I hope you find writing as satisfying as I do!

heh, your writing is less lightweight than mine, I think. Love the idea of a guy called 'Mountain' writing a geology book. I hope you find writing as satisfying as I do!
Did you have a look at my books on Kindle? I'm currently reading John Keay's "The Great Arc" - the story of the survey of India, from the southern tip to the Himalayas. I believe one of the surveyors (called George Everest) had some mountain named him! Don't worry if you think your work is lightweight; we all need a bit of escapism. Mine comes from watching old films and old TV programmes on Talking Pictures TV. Yes, I do get satisfaction from my writing; more so when others read it. Better still when it brings in money. Another interest is old Land Rovers, having used them for work. The editor of Classic Land Rover magazine is kind enough to publish my illustrated articles, and pay me.

I did, I don't have a kindle reader though, as reading on kindle gives me a migrain.
I deliberately write lightweight on the whole because I believe in escapism, though I recently completed a 104k alternate history novel which was something I really wanted to write.
hehe my 'Last Winged Hussar' series grew out of watching old 'Lone Ranger' stories as well as Polish classics...

We used to have a Disco 1 but unlike the Defender and series 1 and 2 it didn't have that aluminium bodywork.... I've probably read your articles at one time!

I did, I don't have a kindle reader though, as reading on kindle gives me a migrain.
I deliberately write lightweight on the whole because I believe in escapism, though I recently completed a 104k alternate history novel which was something I really wanted to write.
hehe my 'Last Winged Hussar' series grew out of watching old 'Lone Ranger' stories as well as Polish classics...

We used to have a Disco 1 but unlike the Defender and series 1 and 2 it didn't have that aluminium bodywork.... I've probably read your articles at one time!
You should be able to again, in upcoming issues. Meanwhile, attached is how I looked many moons ago!

Attachments

• Vol 18 No 48 JPEG..jpg
    Vol 18 No 48 JPEG..jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Back