Old Reservoir and Buildings Wales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Dis-used Reservoir and pumping station Mid-ish Wales……
Another day trip last summer was up into the hills of Wales to see this old reservoir and Victorian pump house….The architecture and scale of the old buildings is absolutely gorgeous and it’s a miracle that some enterprising person hasn’t bought the whole site and turned it into a fantastic caravan / camping / boating site. The lakes are beautiful and just a bit further up the valley is a large dis-used dam and another lake which will be ‘done’ on a trip later this summer . Overlooked by the mountainous hillside of the Pennyfann (?) horsehoe and the Brecon Gap (both famous as part of the SAS selection course) the location is nothing short of stunning………..
All the buildings are secured so no inside photos sorry !

125_2580.jpg

Flow control House
125_2583.jpg

Looking down the sluice towards the pump house
125_2584.jpg

Old caretakers cottage with the Pennyfann Mountainside in the background
125_2585.jpg

The main buildings housing the filters and pumps I guess ????
125_2587.jpg

The lake overflow
125_2591.jpg

Some of me mates ha ha!

Very nice. :) I have noticed some similar buildings in deepest darkest Northumberland. Only thing is they are live!
They just don't make buildings like that any more.

That is quite an interesting design building. I do have rather a passion for waterworks of any description myself. This is really a beautiful location too, Wales is such a cool p[lace.

A little bit of history about this site (Lower Neuadd) the post above also mentions the Upper Neuadd just up the hill

Partly because of the problems experienced at Pentwyn (Serious leakage occurred due to the dam having been constructed over the major fault zone), Merthyr Tydfil Corporation constructed Lower Neuadd Reservoir in 1884. To facilitate its construction, a temporary railway line was constructed from Torpantau halt on the Brecon & Merthyr Junction railway. This route is now a bridleway followed by the Taff Trail.

Upper Neuadd Reservoir was built between 1896 and 1902 in part from limestone quarried near Dowlais brought in using the same railway. Other stone was sourced from quarries between Pant and Pontsticill down the valley. With a water level of 1506ft, this reservoir is the highest in Fforest Fawr Geopark and indeed in Brecon Beacons National Park.

http://www.breconbeacons.org/conten...l-heritage/reservoir-of-fforest-fawr-geopark/

Ah my homeland..............looks great, nice one.

Its a really gorgeous place mate ...I could live very happily up there , very idealic....total isolation , do a bit of fishing , grow a few crops...drink a shed load of red wine ! hahahah !:)

Great place,

Did you walk up to the Reservoir Dam itself? As it's amazing along the bottom, I see if I can dig my photos out from when I stumbled across this place last summer.

Did you walk up to the Reservoir Dam itself? As it's amazing along the bottom, I see if I can dig my photos out from when I stumbled across this place last summer.

No we ran out of time to walk on up the valley but you can see the towers on the top of the dam from this location....planning on a return trip this summer if we ever get any weather worth getting the bike out of the shed for !!!
Love to see yer photos by the way ...dig em out ! cheers ! :)

love the old building

why have your mates got there eyes closed ?? what where you doing:lol:

i was up there about 3 weeks ago and did you find the small open building at the rear of the main one ? i took a few pics but they r very dark cos it was only my camera phone with a crappy flash . also when i was there the resevoir was nearly empty and its surprising how deep it is :)
heres my pics by the way sorry about the quality
2696247369_e24f9df4b7.jpg

some sort of back up generator perhaps :question:
2696248255_76dffb075a.jpg

2696248969_3657c35ab2.jpg

electrical control panel

Didn't really try for an entry cos of loads of other folk wandering around up there with dogs and picnics and kids etc.........Might get back there this summer with a bit of luck or maybe leave it til the winter when no-ones about up there much except for the odd SAS fella jogging about.........:lol:

Latest posts

Back