Pillbox near Fenwick Pit, Tyne and Wear. 2007.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabtr

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of a nice pillbox near Fenwick Pit, Tyne and Wear. Apart from some silly graffitti the structure is in very good condition.

Fenwickpit021.png

The windows still have the metal covers.

Fenwickpit024.png

The pillbox is no-where near any roads and is literally hidden along a hedgerow.

Attachments

• Fenwickpit021.png
    Fenwickpit021.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Fenwickpit024.png
    Fenwickpit024.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 198
Hey man where is that?!! I have spent loads of time over at Fenwick PIt and didn't know about this. You'll have to show me next time we are over that way.

Look about half a mile north up a hedgerow mate! To the East of the dirt track which goes to Hollywell.

Look about half a mile north up a hedgerow mate! To the East of the dirt track which goes to Hollywell.

But I walk the dogs up that track all the time. I need to start looking in hedgerows more!

That's fabulous. I've never seen one with a metal cover on before. In fact I didn't even know any of them had metal covers at all! :eek:

The pillbox is no-where near any roads and is literally hidden along a hedgerow.

I was wondering if it might be near a river until I looked on the flash earth link. It's odd stuck where it is. To the South-South-West, is that what looks like a quarry? There are buildings to the West of that which might have been either quarry buildings or factory/s and in the South-East corner of the grounds it looks like another pillbox. Maybe it was something strategic to the war effort at the time?

That's fabulous. I've never seen one with a metal cover on before. In fact I didn't even know any of them had metal covers at all! :eek:

I was wondering if it might be near a river until I looked on the flash earth link. It's odd stuck where it is. To the South-South-West, is that what looks like a quarry? There are buildings to the West of that which might have been either quarry buildings or factory/s and in the South-East corner of the grounds it looks like another pillbox. Maybe it was something strategic to the war effort at the time?

The nearest river is just a stream to the north where the tree line is. That thing to the South West you mentioned is the abandoned Fenwick Colliery.

Latest posts

Back