PMs and New Users.

Help Support Derelict Places:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for the oddities with access this morning, rest assured no-one has been banned or blocked, I was just changing some usergroups and permissions around to try and stop new users from spamming people with PMs. If anyone is still having problems accessing the site please let me know.

The upshot of this is that new users will not be able to use PMs until they have fulfilled certain criteria. This criteria is based upon participation and uses an automatic system. It is not based on the quality of posts nor do mods have to decide on your worth.

This is to stop people from signing up purely to abuse the PM system and legitimate members will have no problem at all :)

Any questions feel free to PM me as always.

Ben.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
..unless your a new user so dont have PM permissions, lol. it needed doing i think ive had 3 dodgy PMs over the last month.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that! :rolleyes:

New users can contact me via email using the 'contact us' link at the bottom right of every page.

Abo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Will PM's be monitored like they were on 28 Days Later?

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
I can tell if someone is sending a large number of PMs in a short period of time, but that's about it. People often tip me off if they receive a PM that is dodgy too.

I wasn't aware 28dl did that.

Abo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I don't think here is the place to go into it, but they definitely monitored PM's. I speak from experience!

Sabtr

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I guess they weren't as private as people reckoned! I realised it at a certain point.

Bigjobs

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I admin a couple of other forumns, not ue related at all, and I can monitor pm's on them. We don't; but you can. I can log in as anyone as well, I won't know their password, but can sign in as me, choose someone, and log in as them. Then post in their name, read/send pm's, do anything really.

It's not something I do, but as far as I know, it's available for forum admin with the right permissions.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
I admin a couple of other forumns, not ue related at all, and I can monitor pm's on them. We don't; but you can. I can log in as anyone as well, I won't know their password, but can sign in as me, choose someone, and log in as them. Then post in their name, read/send pm's, do anything really.

It's not something I do, but as far as I know, it's available for forum admin with the right permissions.

Not using this forum software it isn't.

L3AN

Reaction score
Indeed I have my own vbulletin forums (same as here and 28DL) - the only way I could monitor the PMs is to pull up the database and then trawl through the tables via phpmyadmin.

As an admin I believe doing something like that would be a terrible breach of peoples privacy.. they are after all 'PRIVATE' messages.

I can of course see where Krela is coming from and rightly so - ie: checking the numbers is a fair way of gauging the overall PM system and is a great way to monitor abuse (if any) of the system.

If any forum I was a member of was actually reading or going through peoples private messages I'd be seriously pissed off it really would show a true lack of respect for their members.

Sorry about the rant!! :D

sheep2405

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
So is it only new users that are going to have no PM, or if I dont access the site for say a month will I loose them as we. Sorry Im tired, and not thinking so good.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
No, only new users or users who are currently registered but have never actively participated.

If you currently have PM priveledges you will keep them (unless you abuse them!).

Jolee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for the oddities with access this morning, rest assured no-one has been banned or blocked, I was just changing some usergroups and permissions around to try and stop new users from spamming people with PMs. If anyone is still having problems accessing the site please let me know.

The upshot of this is that new users will not be able to use PMs until they have fulfilled certain criteria. This criteria is based upon participation and uses an automatic system. It is not based on the quality of posts nor do mods have to decide on your worth.

This is to stop people from signing up purely to abuse the PM system and legitimate members will have no problem at all :)

Any questions feel free to PM me as always.

Ben.

Hi Krela, I realise I will be banned & blocked as i have put an address up of a building on your open forum. I understand your policy & I can't apologise enough. Jolee:cry:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Will you?! Haha.

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, it's really not that big a deal! As you were. ;)

Latest posts