Polystyrene (sometimes iron) Mine, Cumbria – May, 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeatherDome

Reaction score
-

Shall we get this rather lame title joke out of the way first? Well then, there we go:
PM-01.jpg

And the next thing is to pay proper respect to the raisers of flags. There it is, flying true in all its majesty. It was a fine sight all morning long.
PM-02.jpg

I only wandered around the part of the site away from the closed Heritage Centre as all of that looked properly squared away. But the true remnants of the commercial mining areas looked like they were abandoned yesterday. The pallet truck there looked in perfectly good order as if someone had left it there last night.
PM-03.jpg

I suspect they used to take visitors down the drift when they had them. It’s locked up and seeing as I had no notion of going down flooded mines on my own it was of no consequence. There was a definite dripping sound coming out of it but this is Northern England in May. I can hear dripping sounds all day long.
PM-04.jpg

Facing back the other way, looking up to the drift winch.
PM-05.jpg

Clearly, some of this winch isn’t that old so it was probably operating in pretty much this condition. It strikes me how dangerous looking heavy industry stuff is sometimes. The broken or missing guards are bad enough but the operator had to stand behind this thing to work it; just where a parted cable would hit him in the face. Well, it wouldn’t hit him really, I suppose. Just collect bits of him on its way going out through the back of the shed.
PM-06.jpg

By now, you’re probably getting to see that a lot of this stuff is kind of rust coloured.
PM-07.jpg

Ah, the first mystery! Barrels and barrels of giant iron Maltesers and it looked like they were kept in barrels to be re-used rather than sold or shipped out. Some barrels had a bar through the top half for lifting and tipping. The forward one here didn’t want any of it though and has just ripped out.
PM-08.jpg

Now then, here’s a clue. Maybe this tombola has something to do with the Maltesers? Something that turns and turns like that would probably produces various sizes of almost round iron pellets.
PM-09.jpg

See inside (apologises for the dirty lens flare, rum form of the first order I know) there’re all these rumble plates. I know! Processing iron ore must be a bit like making yoghurt. You have to start off with a little quantity of iron Maltesers inside this thing and they make more of them as they pound the ore to dust and more Maltesers are born. Please qualify this theory with the knowledge that I do not know what I’m talking about.
PM-10.jpg

Part of the tombola turning apparatus. A gearbox and a pinion shaft that looked like they could have turned the thing forever and ever. But of course, they didn’t.
PM-11.jpg

Now that we’ve seen heavy industry at something like the indestructible we find the sorry affairs that are the loading shovels. The far one is actually a proper JCB shovel of some vintage but the near article is only an old Ford tractor with bucket on the front. Not so much of vintage as of antiquity.
PM-12.jpg

Here we go. Misapplied equipment if ever I’ve seen it. And the state of the thing, although it’s actually better that the JCB, simply defies belief that anybody could actually drive this around for a job every day. It’s meant to be moving hay and ‘fertilizer’ now and again, not Iron ore all day long. It was now that I started to realise what a dire place this must have been to work in its dying days. Maybe they had some better equipment that has left the site but all this stuff is just rubbish waiting to break down.
PM-13.jpg

A word about this ore and the dust it produces. It looks brown or red, usually, and then sometimes its blue or violet. It’s thoroughly horrid stuff and they had even gone to the lengths of putting flexible trunking through the window at the back to suck out the worst of it. That limp ducting leads to the front face of the main air compressor radiator in the building next door, so you should see the state of that, and it smacks of desperation rather then ingenuity.
PM-14.jpg

Oh, I don’t know. It’s some kind of electric/hydraulic hopper of sorts. Maybe I’m wrong but while we always see 19th century stuff restored a preserved. I doubt that anyone will be preserving or restoring 20th century equipment like this. Just as the Victorians would have scrapped stuff off, so will we.
PM-15.jpg

Random hoppery crushery.
PM-16.jpg

It had a sort of workshop.
PM-17.jpg

These had the look of horseshoe shod wooden clogs. Because this is exactly what they are. Can you imagine watching two drunken miners, each wearing a pair of these, having a fight on a cobbled street? It must have happened. It must have been one of the funniest things on Earth never to be seen again.
PM-18.jpg

And then there is nothing as awesomely wondrous as a store room of an industry that you know virtually nothing about. The function of almost every item in here has to be guessed at and pondered.
PM-19.jpg

Air powered rock drills I take it? Power indeed, but they’re sadly deficient on handles, grips and shoulder pads. They really are the most ungainly power tools in existence.
PM-20.jpg

A ‘safety block’. When one finds oneself standing in a high place with a desperate need to be standing in a low place, for instance because you are on fire or the high place is collapsing beneath you, hook one end onto the high place and the other to your trouser belt (all miner’s leather belts are at least four inches wide, look at any picture of one). Now jump, and it will deliver you to the low place with a sedate zipping and whining sound.
PM-21.jpg

This is gasket paper. About a hundred weight of it. I guess that the Beldham Asbestos Company has gone the same way as Hitler Knee Balm. The names are just not as popular as they used to be.
PM-22.jpg

Breathing paraphernalia. I’ve seen WWII movies where this stuff is regarded as obsolete, never mind how it’s all covered in ore dust. It might keep you alive, just, but you’ll definitely contract a severe case of Rusty Gum with this lot mackled to the front of yer face. Bite down, now.
PM-23.jpg

And this is the site air compressor. This is the room that sucks all the dust from the ore loading bay where the shovels are. There’re oil and grease leaks everywhere and with the ore mixed in with all that, just think of a room that’s been sprayed with warm copper slip and you’re somewhere near it.
PM-24.jpg

I’m guessing that these are lamp batteries charging ports. Maybe radios, I really don’t know. A pity they’ve been left outside though. There’s a chance they might go a bit rusty and let the whole site down.
PM-25.jpg

And just three of these ports had men’s names on them. Maybe it was that Watson, Blane and Kerr were not numbers, they were free men? Everybody else that worked there seemed to have been just numbers. But not even that anymore.
PM-26.jpg

Cheers...LD.

brilliant place, looks nicely rusted and orange, you are right about the 'maltesers' they are added to the lumps of ore to smash it into more workable sizes, they are probably lumps of steel judging by the weight that has bust that drum open at the top rim.
Great pics, thanks.

Quote: A pity they’ve been left outside though. There’s a chance they might go a bit rusty and let the whole site down

Haha, understatment of the year....:) fantastic place, brilliant pics and ver well put togther repoirt.

I love this place, I met the caretaker when I was there, and if I hadn't been so sheepish I think he'd have shown me the whole place.

Great post LD, enjoyed reading that very much. Love the dyson in the middle of the workshop - the very image of optimism.

m.

Excellent place..

Excellent pics.. am sure this is the place that BNFL used to keep dry because they wanted to use it at one point.. I recognise the gates from the addit from another report

Good report :)

I've since been informed what the Malteser Tombolas are rightly called. More info here (I don't quite know why this link looks as awful as it does but it works): [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_mill[/ame]

I feel a bit silly really. Ronco used to sell these for making jewellery out of garden stones. When I was eight I thought it just about the coolest 'As seen on TV' thing you could possible own, not that I ever did.

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.
-

I'm sure BNFL used to buy the water from here, then they decided they didn't need it anymore and the mine owners couldn't afford to pump the water out themselves so the place closed.

nice one there looks like there is alot left behind, would of been straight down underground for me fella, that drift is so tempting lol

-
This is gasket paper. About a hundred weight of it. I guess that the Beldham Asbestos Company has gone the same way as Hitler Knee Balm. The names are just not as popular as they used to be.
PM-22.jpg

The Beldam Asbestos Company still exists in Hounslow, under the name of Beldam Lascar Seals Ltd.

Great report and images BTW.

Ah, that's good to hear. I wouldn't like to see any business go to the wall just because its name or primary product suddenly falls out of fashion.

PM-22.jpg

Actually they are still around, as a customer of mine I installed a CNC controlled cutting press to Hounslow plant in the early 90's for cutting out the gaskets, now named Beldam Crossley www.beldamcrossley.co.uk/ they still list gaskets as part of their core business and I still support the machines they use to cut them out.

Interesting place you found there, i luv all this old machinery

Latest posts

Back