Port Lewaigue - The Resort that Never Was - February 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhluxton

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Port Lewaigue is located a mile or so south or Ramsey on the Isle of Man.

It is the site of a failed late Victorian venture to develop a holiday resort. A Ramsey architect George Kay drew up plans for the resort which would have included a Hotel, bathing pool etc.

Unfortunately the scheme as with many other developments on the Isle of Man fell victim to the collapse of Dumbell’s Bank early in 1900.

The principal feature is an abandoned late Victorian promenade which was constructed around 1900.

The substantial promenade looks completely out of context without any of the supporting infrastructure which one would expect to see at a seaside resort. In recent years work has been undertaken to clear much undergrowth.

More pictures of Port Lewaigue and the Industrial Archaeology of the Manx Tourist Industry can be found at:

http://jhlphotography.smugmug.com/Isle-of-Man/Industrial-Archaeology-of-Manx

Wish it had been finished !

I would love to see the plans for what was proposed. Very little information appears on the internet. Guess the next time I am over on the Isle of Man later this year I need to make enquiries at the Manx Museum in Douglas.

Originally it was to be the route of the MER into Ramsey. I believe it was changed because of ground instabity

Originally it was to be the route of the MER into Ramsey. I believe it was changed because of ground instabity
This takes me back SIXTY YEARS - to a visit by ferry from Liverpool. I travelled on and filmed the Isle of Man Railway, the Manx Electric Railway, and on the Snaefell Mountain Railway. And the Douglas horse-drawn trams.

Latest posts

Back