Predannack Airfield, Lizard Peninsula - Cornwall

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shots, I have flown gliders there several times. One interesting point that might not been widely know, at the far side of the airfield there are some steel ramps and structures. These were used by Barns Wallis for testing the bouncing bomb !

Great shots, I have flown gliders there several times. One interesting point that might not been widely know, at the far side of the airfield there are some steel ramps and structures. These were used by Barns Wallis for testing the bouncing bomb !

I think you've been misinformed there. He did tests with swept wing aircraft technology there in the 1950's long after WW2.

Agreed, I was just going to add that there's a rocket track at Predannack which he used to test models of Swallow and other "swing wing" prototypes on. Vickers owned the airfield during the 1950's, and Barnes Wallis's work for them indirectly led to the Tornado.

Thank you! I will check that out as I have good reason to believe my late great uncle was involved in testing the bouncing bombs :)

Back