Processor drain, Harpurhey, Manchester 06/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bungle666

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visitited with thenewmendoza

This place is rather cool!! it makes a nice change to find a drain with "stuff" in it!! the "processors" are sewage oveflow surface scrapers to keep the solids out of the culvert/drain, and are automaticaly run when the sewers fill right up :eek: .

as a consequence certain sections of this drain STINK, and most areas are quite unpleant, but its interesting non the leass, a mix of brick pipe, RCP, and a box section RCP make this well worth the visit :thumb:

anyhow, on with the pics!!
DSCF4040.jpg

this is the entrance to the larger processor unit, in times of "high" flow, raw sewage would spew out of this hole :eek:
DSCF4043.jpg

the larger processor
DSCF4045.jpg

DSCF4047.jpg

steps up
DSCF4049.jpg

interesting formations
DSCF4050.jpg

end of processor
DSCF4052.jpg

the other side
DSCF4055.jpg

another modern section
DSCF4058.jpg

B..

Nice pictures.

I really enjoyed exploring this drain. It seemed to go on forever, but there were so many different construction styles and things to see down there.
The large processor room is excellent, if a bit smelly, but quite impressive. The best bit has to be the original brick built middle section with all the formations - I love it!
Must go down there again soon and take some more pics. :)

Yah, the old section with all the rock deposits is incredible, there's a particularly cool manhole shaft where you can't even see any of the brick any more, it just looks like a natural cave.

Very nice that. Especially the mineral deposits on that old brick pipe. Good seeing the machinery too.

Love the variety of construction and shapes, well done guys :)

P.S Hahaha!! Just noticed what one of the tags for this page is!!

I REALLY enjoyed this one, despite rolling up in Harpurhey after dark (not one of Manchester's most salubrious districts) this drain is absolutely fantastic and so worth leaving your car on the mean streets for!! It has so much variety in construction from concrete boxey bits, RCPs, RBPs, crusty bits, smelly bits, machines, sewers, chambers and filth. This has to top my favourites list so far.

It's been explored plenty of times before by more experienced drainers than me, and more experienced drain photographers so not too many pics, I'm just glad I have places like this on my doorstep, I need the practice.

Anyway, here's a few pics (in no particular order :confused:).

Processor1.jpg

Processor2.jpg

Processor3.jpg

Processor4.jpg

Processor6.jpg

I thought it was great, probably one to return to.

TnM :)

Latest posts

Back