Proteus Training Camp - Notts - 01.09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra

Reaction score
History
This former army / TA / cadet training camp is situated in Sherwood forest, just North of Ollerton on the A614.
The 21-hectare site was used by the Ministry of Defence as an Army training camp until October 2004 when it became surplus to requirements.
The site had accommodated up to 1,000 personnel at its peak along with tanks, mechanized vehicles and a small arms firing range.
From the early 1940s it was used by the British and American armed forces and a significant number of barrack buildings, vehicle stores and other structures remain on the site – though it has now reverted back to the control of the Thoresby Estate.

In the News - Aug 2008
A PROPOSAL to build up to 170 holiday lodges on a disused Army camp in Ollerton have been welcomed by the town's community leaders.
Ventura Lodges Ltd has submitted plans to convert the Proteus Camp, on Blyth Road, into holiday homes and other facilities including a bar and fitness suite.
A second application for change of land use and the demolition of the existing buildings has also been made.
Both applications are being considered by Newark & Sherwood District Council planning officers – but have been backed by town councilors

The Explore

Myself Madmax & Squirrell911 had planned a half day visit so that we could do the hole site, Leaving Lincoln at mid day we arrived about a hour later after a dinner stop, Weather was not really with us no rain but the sun didn't get through the clouds............

All in all great place would recommend it to anyone.......

The Pics

ProteusTrainingCamp.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp44.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp48.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp43.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp4.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp34.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp11.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp17.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp23.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp25.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp29.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp30.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp3.jpg

ProteusTrainingCamp55.jpg

I really enjoyed this place when me and Sal visited last year. Looks like you had better luck digging out some history than I did. Cool stuff.

M :)

Last saw this place 30 or so years ago. It doesn't seem to have changed much. :D

Are the coal/wood burners still in the middle of the huts? We weren't allowed to use them for heat, so we froze our nuts off. :(

Are the coal/wood burners still in the middle of the huts?

No Seahorse the place is pretty gutted to behonest

I like the look of those Nissen huts.

There used to be a very rusty one in Bredbury on the road between Morrisons & the M60.

In Melton Mobray one is preserved as a community centre, at one time there was a whole camp of them I like this one. It was used for a long time after the war as a camp for refugees.

It's a great place isn't it? I echo what Mendo said, we enjoyed spending a few hours in here. Did you have a go at what remains of the assault course? lol.

Excellent pics mate,

:) Sal

ps, Neosea, you definitely have to get up here, it's great. :)

you need to see this place sooner rather than later, as i belive its to be a extension of the center parcs at sherwood forest.
as they now own the site.

you need to see this place sooner rather than later, as i belive its to be a extension of the center parcs at sherwood forest.
as they now own the site.

No, the Proteus site is owned by Ventura Lodges Ltd, their head office is in Leeds. Centre Parcs is owned by a completely different company.

Hope that helps?

:) Sal

I've got some photos of this camp in 2001 when I was an Army Cadet. We had our summer camp here along with a group of American Cadets who were over on an exchange. It rained non stop for the whole two weeks.

is there still the remains of a dead sheep in the trident club? last time i visited it was there

Looks like a great place for a good mooch ! cheers!:)
The army camps in my area were all used for emergency accomodation after the war and some of them were still occupied up til the ealy 1960s.....
....Guess the country was covered in camps like this at one time ............:neutral:

Fantastic to see all those nissen huts and the other buildings...it'll be really sad to see them go, especially as they're in such good nick, by the look of it. :(
Excellent site. :)

Latest posts

Back