Public & Naval Personnel Air Raid Shelter, Devonport Park, Plymouth = March/April 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badoosh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Public & Naval Personnel Air Raid Shelter, Devonport Park, Plymouth = March/April 09

Firstly, this needs no introduction as Kernow, Scotty & Underworld have already posted their images from this site here http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=9354

Many of the artefacts in their pictures have been removed for public display in a local museum but there was much more whic you will see in the in the following images. What makes this shelter unique is the fact that it was shared by the public & naval personnel, segregated for security reasons, by a short corridor in the middle, which was also one of three entrances.

As mentioned in Kernow's report, it was uncovered by contractors working on a new adventure playground in the park. When unearthed a statement was made that is was "a surprise find", but funnily enough the shelter was on original Air Raid Precaution plans for the park in the records office, & it was in an official document that a shelter would opened up for a survey for the possibilty of opening it to the public.

Work was moved to another part of the site, whilst the debate on preserving the shelter raged between locals & officials. BBC Spotlight SW & BBC Radio Devon aired interviews from both sides Sadly the decision was made to fill in part of the shelter & drilling commence Wednesday morning (8th April) at what would have been the South Western entrance, much to the annoyance & despair of the people who tried to save it. The story will continue as we have already traced a member of family from some of the grafitti.

After six visits, over a thousand photos, an unofficial video 32 mins long, & a fully mapped plan of the shelter here are a few images from myself. The video will be posted on my website in the next month & further images from those who made the visits with me, TheTerrorWheel, Graybags & son, will follow.

This was my sons first real explore & i'll begin with a couple of pics from him of WWII grafitti;

DevonportParkARS069.jpg

DParkARSwDon022.jpg

A view in the NW public ection with the stove pipe just visible on the left
DevonportParkARS008.jpg

Stove pipe (vents now showing on the surface)
DevonportParkARS160.jpg

Infilled entrance in the public section. Notice the cables leading through a hole...these lead to a second buried shelter
DevonportParkARS018.jpg

1 of 4 escape hatches. In the event that a shelter took a hit, ladders would have been in situ to enable survivors to escape
DevonportParkARS010.jpg

1 of 4 twin toilet cubicles, buckets would have been placed in these....
DevonportParkARS001.jpg

....which would then have been emptied into the drainage hole...
DevonportParkARS102.jpg

...with an air vent above
DevonportParkARS100.jpg

One of the original light fittings...
DevonportParkARS148.jpg

...with one of the globes replaced on 7.7 1943
DevonportParkARS094.jpg

Periwinkle shells, part of the wars food rations
DevonportParkARS169.jpg

Spam tin & Simonds of Reading bottle stopper
DevonportParkARS089.jpg

Hair comb
DevonportParkARS099.jpg

Evaporated milk tin
DevonportParkARS105.jpg

Cigarette tin
DevonportParkARS052.jpg

WWII grafitti - Swastika
DevonportParkARS068.jpg

Semi naked lady drawing
DevonportParkARS152.jpg

Game of Dots & Squares...looks like A won!
DevonportParkARS055.jpg

Alien head
DevonportParkARS069-1.jpg

A view from above, trenches only exposing half of the shelter,with the demolition taking place in the background....
RaleighBatteryPickFTDPars391.jpg

...leading to this, the destruction below & a sad sight to witness
DParkARSwDon041.jpg

Why are they demolishing it?
Most places just build right on top of it all, capping entrances :confused:
I take it, they believe its not stable enough maybe?

It could be right where they need to put a pile in, they could pile either side of it to keep it there but they would then have to drill their piles even deeper into the ground so they didnt put any weight onto the shelter, i guess theyve just found a way to make sure no-one else can see the shelter.

much better class of graffiti than you get these days. More history going down the pan. Wouldn't you have thought they would have listed it as a schedualed monument or similar. What a waste...

Love the graffiti...such a crying shame that it'll be destroyed rather than capped and preserved. It's the left items too...the comb, food and ciggy tins...bringing it home that the shelters were used when bombing went on above. Such history!
Good work, Badoosh and t'others.:)

its been sanitised now tho, the museum have taken several items, and the no smoking poster was wrecked with the partial demo, one "naval personel" sign has also gone,

there were NO visible cracks in any part of the shelter, im afraid this country is run by people who live such sheltered lives i wonder how they manage to get out the bed.... amazing how all plymouth roads and pavements are in a terrible state with lots of potential hazards tho! they just get left and we spend 300 grand on a little playground:icon_evil

still we're turning this site into a tourist attaction ourselves now.... albeit unofficial!

anyone wanna see it - get in touch!

here is some of the ones i have.

pic1.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic16.jpg

damage since first visit
pic9.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

a childs ring
pic18.jpg

Last edited:
It could be right where they need to put a pile in, they could pile either side of it to keep it there but they would then have to drill their piles even deeper into the ground so they didnt put any weight onto the shelter, i guess theyve just found a way to make sure no-one else can see the shelter.

You've hit the nail on the head there! The piles are for a zip wire going in place.

Such a shame to see Plymouth city council do that to the shelter :( I would love to get a look before it gets sealed up for good :( if anyone fancies a trip please PM me as im only round the corner from devonport (mannamead)

Chris

yes i have lol, how are things?

been having a think about these devonport air raid shelters. are they linked in any way to the tunnels that go under the park and albot road?

give me a ring or text at some point mate be good to catch up..
chris

Last edited:
yes i have lol, how are things?

been having a think about these devonport air raid shelters. are they linked in any way to the tunnels that go under the park and albot road?

give me a ring or text at some point mate be good to catch up..
chris

Much to everyone's disappointment, the shelter is now filled in dude. The other tunnels you mention are the old railway tunnels & not linked in any way.

Latest posts

Back