Puxley Mansion, Castletownbere, 2002

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhluxton

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Back in 2002 I visited the Puxley Mansion, at Castletownbere in County Cork. This mansion and estate was owned by Puxley Family who earned much of their wealth exploiting copper reserves in the Beara Peninsula.

The house fell derelict following an attack by the Irish Army during the War of Independence in 1921 when occupation of the house by the British Forces was believed to be imminent.

The Puxley's were compensated for the destruction and the house and estate subsequently sold to local interests.

Shortly after I took these photographs the building was sold for conversion into a luxury hotel, however, it is reported that restoration work ground to a halt around 2010 due to the recession with the buildings 90% restored. I have not been back to the site since the year after I took these photos and have not seen the restoration work done so far but there are pictures on the web.

Anyway here are scans of slides taken in 2002 of the mansion in its derelict glory - enjoy

Visit my Smug Mug galleries at: www.jhluxton.co.uk

Last edited:
Thats lovely, cant see any buildings from this era ever lasting that long!
Nice photos too BTW!

Latest posts

Back