PYRAMIDEN - Arctic Russia - 2022 - [Mega report!]

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Warning: This post features a visit to a Russian territory. While I am a fiercely political person this isn’t the forum for politics, so can I ask that we keep any comments about the explore.

IMG_6149.JPG

“The sound of the Russian flags fluttering on the abandoned crane above me were broken by the voice of the p*ssed off guard making affirmative orders in Russian. I didn’t understand a word he was saying, but it was clear from the gesturing of his rifle barrel towards me that he was ordering me to get off the boat. Alone and 4,000 miles from home, I couldn’t help wonder if I should have taken up a different hobby” - UrbanX

Context:

Throughout the early 2010’s I was obsessed with Chernobyl and Pripyat. For six years I visited several times a year on extended stays and spent more time walking the abandoned streets of Pripyat than I did my home city. Back in the early days they used to only issue 16 permits to Pripyat per day - For my 30th birthday I bought all 16 tickets just so my partner and I could have the whole city to ourselves for a day. Then in late 2014 they removed the 16 person cap and the zone was flooded with up to 1,500 people per day. I stopped going.

For the next 8 years I obsessed over my new mistress: Pyramiden – An abandoned Russian mining town, some 1,350Km North of the Arctic Circle. The problem was it was six flights and two days on an icebreaker away from my house. So it always remained a pipe dream until last year when Mrs UrbanX innocently asked “So where are you holding your 40th birthday then?”

IMG_1206.JPG

The journey here could fill a book, (well a report at least) itself. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The week after I booked my flights, Russia invaded my beautiful Ukraine. The couple of operators who would usually sail to Pyramiden were now refusing to dock at the Russian town. The week before I was due to fly covid numbers rocketed and threatened the trip. Then the day before, a pilot strike threatened the trip (The pilots union decided to postponed while I was literally in the air on my way).

IMG_5696 - Copy.JPG

Arriving in thick freezing fog, the pilot warned that it often took him two attempts at a landing here and not to panic. I didn’t die, so made my way, alone, to the 108-year-old miners’ cabin that would be my new home. That night I feasted on a roast seal (sorry vegetarians) before getting some sleep and heading to the port to look for an icebreaker.

Icebreaker:
This is not an easy place to get to. There are no roads in and out of the town (there’s no cars either). You can snowmobile across the sea during the winter, but it is pitch black 24 hours a day. It is only accessible by ship in a very short window each year – Although we’re in a high category icebreaker, if we tried to dock during thick ice we’d smash the timber landing stage.

So with my flights booked for a very specific period, I was confident I could make it. Then around 4 months before my trip Russia invaded Ukraine and everyone quite rightly started boycotting anything Russian. Including all of the Norwegian icebreaker owners. My heart sank and I cried a little bit. Through my tear stained face, I stayed up night after night trawling the net, looking for someone who owned an icebreaker, and was willing to sail me to the Russian territory.

Most of my Google searches ended with the Foreign Office webpage that warned me in big bold letters “We advise against all travel to any Russian occupied territory due to the volatility of the current situation. All travel insurance is invalid, so if you do travel, please ensure you have sufficient funds to repatriate your body in the event of death”.

Then one night came a reply from one of the hundreds of people I’d contacted “I see these people as my neighbours. We both celebrate the same sun rising. To visit them is not supporting Moscow”. He claimed to have an icebreaker, and was willing to sail me to Pyramiden and Barentsberg. He gave me his bank details before signing off “С уважением” (Kind Regards in Russian) “Stig”

So I done what anyone else would have done, and emptied my bank account into his and crossed my fingers that he was genuine. A few months later I’m standing on the floating pontoon at Longyearbyen harbour, looking out across the foggy Adventfjorden. Cometh the hour, cometh the Stig. Our ship could hold 100 people, but there were only about 15 on the planet who fancied visiting Pyramiden this week. I loved the icebreaker life; wildlife, BBQs on deck against the glacial landscape, and occasionally scooping up some 3,000-year-old ice to drop into my Jagermeister.

IMG_E1113.JPG

Eventually the silhouette of Pyramidens landing stage loomed onto the horizon.

IMG_6165.JPG

As we got closer the Russian flags fluttered in the wind and I took a gulp; for the last few months the only representation of this flag has been entirely associated with death and destruction of the land I love. A serious looking man holding a rifle approaches the boat and gestured a few us off with the barrel. Knowing my social media is mainly populated with photos of me in Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, and the now annexed Crimea, I was glad that I’d kept my plans of this trip entirely to my immediate family.

IMG_6166.JPG

Pyramiden:

You see this town isn’t entirely abandoned...

The protocol of the ecologically sensitive arctic is that if you abandon buildings, you must remove them and restore the land to its natural form, including removing the foundations. Which for a town of 1,000 homes is extremely expensive. So the Russians said “Ah, but if one person lives there, it’s not abandoned is it…” With that, a single young man called Sascha was given a rifle, an acoustic guitar and a bottle of vodka and sent on the same journey that I’ve just undertaken. He lived here alone in this town for a good decade before he was relieved.

He was replaced by Igor:

IMG_6015.JPG

Igor

IMG_5997.JPG

Igor & Pyramiden sign

IMG_5999.JPG

So, under the Svalbard Treaty, any of the signatories can live and work on the Arctic archipelago without discrimination. If you wanted to go and mine it tomorrow you could, no paperwork or visa required. So that’s what most of us done in the 1910s (including Britain). In 1927 Russia bought this set of mines from Sweden and named it after the pyramid shaped mountain adjacent to the town.

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6006.JPG

I shit you not, this is the airport & control tower. Where’s the duty free?

The Russian state-owned company Arktikugol mined here for 53 years, making a token number of Rubles from the coal each year, but keeping a nice foothold halfway across the shortcut to America....
IMG_6010.JPG

In 1998 the coal production was almost down to zero, then a plane attempting the same landing that I took yesterday crashed into the side of the mountain, instantly killing all 141 Arkitikugol employee passengers. Russian mining ceased and the town was abandoned.

IMG_6018.JPG

The abandoned mines

After 15 years of nothingness, they decided to open it to tourists, probably to cover Sacha’s vodka bill. They even decked out a couple of rooms of one of the buildings as a ‘hotel’ for a few nights of the year. (I did try and stay, but there was no returning icebreaker for quite some time, and you can’t just go and explore without a guide and a gun due to the polar bear risk. There’s also no TVs or internet signal).

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

I drank up the soviet architecture and appreciated the way it was a clean slate to create a perfect utopian town, much like Pripyat. They even had a greenhouse and an inside farm in an attempt of some independence.

IMG_6012.JPG

The old farm

There’s the obligatory bust of Lenin who looks out over the town and across to the bay to the Nordenskiöldbreen glacier.

IMG_6079.JPG

I went in mid-summer in the short window when there wasn’t snow on the ground, and you could see the grass which was imported from Siberia. Igor was quick to scream at me not to walk on the grass “Oh yeah, radiation” I replied out of habit. “Niet, Niet… The reindeers like it”

IMG_6142.JPG

While Igor lives here almost entirely alone (there’s a skeleton staff of around 2-5 now to help out when scientific missions arrive) the archipelago is home to 3,400 polar bears. So it seems apt they decided to have one on their town sign. Without wanting to insult Igor, I suggested that it had been painted by someone who had had a polar bear described to him over the phone. Heartily he agreed and pointed out that they had the latitude wrong too.

IMG_6064.JPG

Igor kept an extremely close eye on me as he showed me round. Constantly impatient at me for wanting more photos. We went to explore the old swimming pool:
IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

The crazy house: So as some miners bought their families up here a dedicated family block was built. Sounds idyllic. Except they have long polar night winters here. The sun doesn’t rise for 6 months, keeping the town in permanent darkness while plunging to -42c. So children playing outside is a no-no before we even mention the bears. As a father of a lively child, I can’t imagine the pent-up energy of a child who hasn’t been out to play for 6 months. Today the block seems equally crazy as over 1,000 kittiwakes loudly caw and defecate all over it.

IMG_6017.JPG

The Crazy House

Canteen:
IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

I love the little polar bears in the columns

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

We visit the cultural palace where Igor offers me a drink, “You know a real explorer always matches his drink to his latitude” he says pouring me a shot from a bottle with no branding. “78%” he says clinking my glass. I give a nervous “Spasiba” as we both throw our heads back downing the moonshine.

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

I opened up a cupboard to find a spare Lenin inside!

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

The shot must have softened eagle-eyed Igor as he leans in and says in a quiet voice “I will now turn a blind eye, just watch out for bears”. Before he’d finished saying “bears” I was out the door, running from building to building trying to extend my tripod as I ran.

Sports Hall:
IMG_6124.JPG

Music Room:
IMG_6127.JPG

Theatre:
IMG_6139.JPG

Thanks for reading, there's more similar towns to come...

EPILOGUE:
On October 12th 2022 when Russia started re-shelling Kyiv a decision was made among all nations that there would be NO further visitors to Pyrmiden for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
Warning: This post features a visit to a Russian territory. While I am a fiercely political person this isn’t the forum for politics, so can I ask that we keep any comments about the explore.

View attachment 520350

“The sound of the Russian flags fluttering on the abandoned crane above me were broken by the voice of the p*ssed off guard making affirmative orders in Russian. I didn’t understand a word he was saying, but it was clear from the gesturing of his rifle barrel towards me that he was ordering me to get off the boat. Alone and 4,000 miles from home, I couldn’t help wonder if I should have taken up a different hobby” - UrbanX

Context:

Throughout the early 2010’s I was obsessed with Chernobyl and Pripyat. For six years I visited several times a year on extended stays and spent more time walking the abandoned streets of Pripyat than I did my home city. Back in the early days they used to only issue 16 permits to Pripyat per day - For my 30th birthday I bought all 16 tickets just so my partner and I could have the whole city to ourselves for a day. Then in late 2014 they removed the 16 person cap and the zone was flooded with up to 1,500 people per day. I stopped going.

For the next 8 years I obsessed over my new mistress: Pyramiden – An abandoned Russian mining town, some 1,350Km North of the Arctic Circle. The problem was it was six flights and two days on an icebreaker away from my house. So it always remained a pipe dream until last year when Mrs UrbanX innocently asked “So where are you holding your 40th birthday then?”

View attachment 520304

The journey here could fill a book, (well a report at least) itself. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The week after I booked my flights, Russia invaded my beautiful Ukraine. The couple of operators who would usually sail to Pyramiden were now refusing to dock at the Russian town. The week before I was due to fly covid numbers rocketed and threatened the trip. Then the day before, a pilot strike threatened the trip (The pilots union decided to postponed while I was literally in the air on my way).

View attachment 520305

Arriving in thick freezing fog, the pilot warned that it often took him two attempts at a landing here and not to panic. I didn’t die, so made my way, alone, to the 108-year-old miners’ cabin that would be my new home. That night I feasted on a roast seal (sorry vegetarians) before getting some sleep and heading to the port to look for an icebreaker.

Icebreaker:
This is not an easy place to get to. There are no roads in and out of the town (there’s no cars either). You can snowmobile across the sea during the winter, but it is pitch black 24 hours a day. It is only accessible by ship in a very short window each year – Although we’re in a high category icebreaker, if we tried to dock during thick ice we’d smash the timber landing stage.

So with my flights booked for a very specific period, I was confident I could make it. Then around 4 months before my trip Russia invaded Ukraine and everyone quite rightly started boycotting anything Russian. Including all of the Norwegian icebreaker owners. My heart sank and I cried a little bit. Through my tear stained face, I stayed up night after night trawling the net, looking for someone who owned an icebreaker, and was willing to sail me to the Russian territory.

Most of my Google searches ended with the Foreign Office webpage that warned me in big bold letters “We advise against all travel to any Russian occupied territory due to the volatility of the current situation. All travel insurance is invalid, so if you do travel, please ensure you have sufficient funds to repatriate your body in the event of death”.

Then one night came a reply from one of the hundreds of people I’d contacted “I see these people as my neighbours. We both celebrate the same sun rising. To visit them is not supporting Moscow”. He claimed to have an icebreaker, and was willing to sail me to Pyramiden and Barentsberg. He gave me his bank details before signing off “С уважением” (Kind Regards in Russian) “Stig”

So I done what anyone else would have done, and emptied my bank account into his and crossed my fingers that he was genuine. A few months later I’m standing on the floating pontoon at Longyearbyen harbour, looking out across the foggy Adventfjorden. Cometh the hour, cometh the Stig. Our ship could hold 100 people, but there were only about 15 on the planet who fancied visiting Pyramiden this week. I loved the icebreaker life; wildlife, BBQs on deck against the glacial landscape, and occasionally scooping up some 3,000-year-old ice to drop into my Jagermeister.

View attachment 520353

Eventually the silhouette of Pyramidens landing stage loomed onto the horizon.

View attachment 520351

As we got closer the Russian flags fluttered in the wind and I took a gulp; for the last few months the only representation of this flag has been entirely associated with death and destruction of the land I love. A serious looking man holding a rifle approaches the boat and gestured a few us off with the barrel. Knowing my social media is mainly populated with photos of me in Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, and the now annexed Crimea, I was glad that I’d kept my plans of this trip entirely to my immediate family.

View attachment 520352

Pyramiden:

You see this town isn’t entirely abandoned...

The protocol of the ecologically sensitive arctic is that if you abandon buildings, you must remove them and restore the land to its natural form, including removing the foundations. Which for a town of 1,000 homes is extremely expensive. So the Russians said “Ah, but if one person lives there, it’s not abandoned is it…” With that, a single young man called Sascha was given a rifle, an acoustic guitar and a bottle of vodka and sent on the same journey that I’ve just undertaken. He lived here alone in this town for a good decade before he was relieved.

He was replaced by Igor:

View attachment 520312
Igor

View attachment 520306
Igor & Pyramiden sign

View attachment 520307

So, under the Svalbard Treaty, any of the signatories can live and work on the Arctic archipelago without discrimination. If you wanted to go and mine it tomorrow you could, no paperwork or visa required. So that’s what most of us done in the 1910s (including Britain). In 1927 Russia bought this set of mines from Sweden and named it after the pyramid shaped mountain adjacent to the town.

View attachment 520308

View attachment 520309
I shit you not, this is the airport & control tower. Where’s the duty free?

The Russian state-owned company Arktikugol mined here for 53 years, making a token number of Rubles from the coal each year, but keeping a nice foothold halfway across the shortcut to America....
View attachment 520310

In 1998 the coal production was almost down to zero, then a plane attempting the same landing that I took yesterday crashed into the side of the mountain, instantly killing all 141 Arkitikugol employee passengers. Russian mining ceased and the town was abandoned.

View attachment 520314
The abandoned mines

After 15 years of nothingness, they decided to open it to tourists, probably to cover Sacha’s vodka bill. They even decked out a couple of rooms of one of the buildings as a ‘hotel’ for a few nights of the year. (I did try and stay, but there was no returning icebreaker for quite some time, and you can’t just go and explore without a guide and a gun due to the polar bear risk. There’s also no TVs or internet signal).

View attachment 520348

View attachment 520349

I drank up the soviet architecture and appreciated the way it was a clean slate to create a perfect utopian town, much like Pripyat. They even had a greenhouse and an inside farm in an attempt of some independence.

View attachment 520311
The old farm

There’s the obligatory bust of Lenin who looks out over the town and across to the bay to the Nordenskiöldbreen glacier.

View attachment 520332

I went in mid-summer in the short window when there wasn’t snow on the ground, and you could see the grass which was imported from Siberia. Igor was quick to scream at me not to walk on the grass “Oh yeah, radiation” I replied out of habit. “Niet, Niet… The reindeers like it”

View attachment 520347

While Igor lives here almost entirely alone (there’s a skeleton staff of around 2-5 now to help out when scientific missions arrive) the archipelago is home to 3,400 polar bears. So it seems apt they decided to have one on their town sign. Without wanting to insult Igor, I suggested that it had been painted by someone who had had a polar bear described to him over the phone. Heartily he agreed and pointed out that they had the latitude wrong too.

View attachment 520331

Igor kept an extremely close eye on me as he showed me round. Constantly impatient at me for wanting more photos. We went to explore the old swimming pool:
View attachment 520333

View attachment 520334

View attachment 520335

View attachment 520336

The crazy house: So as some miners bought their families up here a dedicated family block was built. Sounds idyllic. Except they have long polar night winters here. The sun doesn’t rise for 6 months, keeping the town in permanent darkness while plunging to -42c. So children playing outside is a no-no before we even mention the bears. As a father of a lively child, I can’t imagine the pent-up energy of a child who hasn’t been out to play for 6 months. Today the block seems equally crazy as over 1,000 kittiwakes loudly caw and defecate all over it.

View attachment 520313
The Crazy House

Canteen:View attachment 520330

View attachment 520315

View attachment 520316

View attachment 520317
I love the little polar bears in the columns

View attachment 520318

View attachment 520319

View attachment 520320

View attachment 520321

View attachment 520322

View attachment 520323

View attachment 520324

View attachment 520325

View attachment 520326

View attachment 520327

View attachment 520328

View attachment 520329

We visit the cultural palace where Igor offers me a drink, “You know a real explorer always matches his drink to his latitude” he says pouring me a shot from a bottle with no branding. “78%” he says clinking my glass. I give a nervous “Spasiba” as we both throw our heads back downing the moonshine.

View attachment 520337

View attachment 520338

View attachment 520339

View attachment 520342

View attachment 520343

I opened up a cupboard to find a spare Lenin inside!

View attachment 520340

View attachment 520341

The shot must have softened eagle-eyed Igor as he leans in and says in a quiet voice “I will now turn a blind eye, just watch out for bears”. Before he’d finished saying “bears” I was out the door, running from building to building trying to extend my tripod as I ran.

Sports Hall:
View attachment 520344

Music Room:
View attachment 520345

Theatre:
View attachment 520346

Thanks for reading, there's more similar towns to come...

EPILOGUE:
On October 12th 2022 when Russia started re-shelling Kyiv a decision was made among all nations that there would be NO further visitors to Pyrmiden for the forseeable future.
Incredible place! Thoroughly enjoyed the post. Bravo!

The only question I have . . . what was on the arcade cabinet in the entrance foyer of the cultural palace? :p

Well we can all give up posting for this year cos that's one of the holy grails cracked right there.
Iv read & seen/heard a lot about this place but don't know anyone who has been, for me it has more merit than Chernobyl
Superb report

Incredible place! Thoroughly enjoyed the post. Bravo!

The only question I have . . . what was on the arcade cabinet in the entrance foyer of the cultural palace? :p
Cheers! Thanks for getting through it!

I've had a zoom in on one of the pics (I didn't notice when I was there) So forgive the resolution!
It looks like the arcade came was a horse racing thing where you have to bash your coloured button as quickly as possible to make your horse go.

Above it was a soviet poster and a load of curled up photos. (Also there's an old school 80's phone!)

IMG_6107 - Copy.JPG

Cheers! Thanks for getting through it!

I've had a zoom in on one of the pics (I didn't notice when I was there) So forgive the resolution!
It looks like the arcade came was a horse racing thing where you have to bash your coloured button as quickly as possible to make your horse go.

Above it was a soviet poster and a load of curled up photos. (Also there's an old school 80's phone!)

View attachment 520704
Awesome!!!!! Definitely no getting through it required on my part, loved it! That's definitely one to store in readiness for old man campfire stories. The whole trip must have been incredible. Tip my hat to you Sir. 🎩

Well we can all give up posting for this year cos that's one of the holy grails cracked right there.
Iv read & seen/heard a lot about this place but don't know anyone who has been, for me it has more merit than Chernobyl
Superb report
Thank you so much Sir! That means a lot from you. It really was an obsession for me (again). I spent so much time on researching it, it was weird being there and knowing my way around! For not-the-most-confident guy in the world it really changed me going there alone too.

I'll be honest, I really miss it, and look at it on streetview most lunchtimes, longingly. I'm looking for excuses to go back to the area, (obvs not Pyramiden, it's now impossible).

I visited another russian arctic town that was built for 1,100 that had around 150 residents left, that was a completely different feel again, I'll post that up soon too. :)

To spend time there would be amazing. Fantastic report and a great read. Thank you for sharing.

I now need a lottery win to fund such exploration
Thank you for your kind comment!

It was definitely the most expensive trip I’ve ever been on. Some things were similar to UK price, but there were some eye-waterers, mainly around eating and drinking in an establishment. I stayed in a miners hut, and to have a burger in the common canteen was £41 and a can of warm beer was £7.90. A small beef steak from the shop to cook yourself was £59. I decided I wanted a walk up Platafjellet one day, but because of the bear risk, legally, I had to hire a marksman to follow me, so that walk was £120, although the guy was quite fun, and he also knew of a WW2 lookout post, so was a bit like a 1:1 guide too. If you want to travel the last short leg up to the pole, that’s proper crazy money.

Then again, fuel is often bought in a few barrels at a time, often by chopper… but was cheaper per litre than the UK…

296087312_10166304436310257_6171423439669595349_n.jpg

I thought I’d beaten the system at one point on the icebreaker… the card reader behind the bar ran off a Norwegian mobile phone connection. All NATO phones were blocked near the Russian territories, so I took the opportunity to capitalise on the situation and order myself five glasses of wine. Unfortunately, as we drifted back into friendly waters the captain chased me round the boat with this:

IMG_E1199.JPG

I had a huge unforeseen expense… While I was there, there was a pilot strike - With only one airline flying there, and them being on strike I was left stranded for an additional 5-6 days. I was never offered replacement flights, they were simply cancelled. So I had to make my own way home under my own steam. Buying fights (3 of them) at short notice was very expensive, and wasn’t covered by travel insurance or the airline. There was also the costs of food and board during that time, as well as things like my airport parking too!

Then there was also the awkward phone call to work:

“I can’t come in today, I’m stranded”

“Stranded? Where?”

“I’ll send you a current location screenshot…”
290654918_450092967127804_3063330327508443510_n.jpg

Thank you for your kind comment!

It was definitely the most expensive trip I’ve ever been on. Some things were similar to UK price, but there were some eye-waterers, mainly around eating and drinking in an establishment. I stayed in a miners hut, and to have a burger in the common canteen was £41 and a can of warm beer was £7.90. A small beef steak from the shop to cook yourself was £59. I decided I wanted a walk up Platafjellet one day, but because of the bear risk, legally, I had to hire a marksman to follow me, so that walk was £120, although the guy was quite fun, and he also knew of a WW2 lookout post, so was a bit like a 1:1 guide too. If you want to travel the last short leg up to the pole, that’s proper crazy money.

Holy fkballs thats crazy! no wonder they are all so skinny out there!

Iv heard they wont let u out there without a gun license or armed escort. Did u see any interesting wildlife?

Holy fkballs thats crazy! no wonder they are all so skinny out there!

Iv heard they wont let u out there without a gun license or armed escort. Did u see any interesting wildlife?

So there is a huge culture difference up at basecamp. The first culture difference is shoes off everywhere inside (inc. bar, museum, restaurant, etc.) . This is a hangover from when it was a coal mining town. Secondly is the prevalence of guns. It is illegal to be outside basecamp without a gun. Yes that’s right, you are punished if you are found without a firearm on your person!

294502664_10166283032745257_5917450375807097589_n.jpg

I’m sat at the bar in basecamp, about to have my first sip of wine, when a woman loudly bursts in through the push doors without using her hands, with a phone to her ear in one hand. She has an assault rifle across her chest, and a revolver, drawn in her other hand.

I’m wondering if I can hit the deck without spilling my red. The barman is the first to react, and screeches at her “Whoa whoa whoa!” The bar falls silent and she quickly turns to him, I prepare for the shooting to start.

The barman shouts “What do you think you’re doing? You know you cant come in here with those!” She looks shocked by his audacity to confront her.

In a calmer tone he iterates “Please, no shoes inside”. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

294459528_10166283032705257_7618577029801183876_n.jpg

The only place that doesn’t allow guns is the post office (there isn’t a bank anymore, see below).

In shops and bars there’s either a gun safe on your way in (next to all the shoes) or you leave them at the bar. Because of the need for possible quick use (polar bear) they’re rarely kept in slips at all. Some people put tape over the end of the barrel to stop grit and ice getting in (I even saw a sock over the end of one).

294579172_10166283032825257_1519230229932221876_n.jpg

Gun safe in the shop

That said there's a tasty isle in the shop...
294680754_10166283032845257_7920352832992077963_n.jpg

So guns in bars, what’s their gun crime stats looking like? Well there has been ONE crime recorded. In December 2018 a young Russian guy named Maxim Popov was due to be flown back to his home in Volgograd, but he was desperate not to go back to Russia. His go to was to commit a gun crime and hope to be incarcerated in Norway. He went and rented a gun from the sports store and Googled the Norwegian for “this is a robbery” and headed into the bank. He was handed the cash, and as he walked back to the sports store, the police were called. He returned the rifle, and was walking back to the bank to apologise and give the money back when the police stopped him. He served 14 months in a Tromso jail, but nothing is known of his fate after that.

294391534_10166283046320257_4658233686181300259_n.jpg

Armed couple hand in hand exploring Barentsberg (report to follow)

Despite being legible, I opted NOT to carry a firearm during my time there; instead I opted for an armed escort. I go shooting a lot and consider myself a decent marksman. However almost every polar bear incident I researched, all the victims were fantastic marksmen. It’s the training, readiness, and speed required that I have zero experience of.

294540721_10166283037350257_4215835329945551435_n.jpg

Felix my marksman looking out for me on a hike.

I spent a bit of time exploring the Norwegian mining regions on quad (report incoming) and they were all fitted with rifle cases too..
294579171_10166283033695257_6834669520131210073_n.jpg

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I didn’t see any polar bears, but crossed everything else off. Arctic fox, puffins, some seals and a walrus frolicking by the glaciers, and a whale tail in the distance.

There were reindeer all around the basecamp settlement, and seemed really chill. Here’s one mooching around the bins at base camp. Oh, note the bins are like skips with heavy hatch covers, anything less would attract polar bears into the camp.

IMG_5755.JPG

bloody hell!! short of going to urbex the buran on that russian base in kazakhstan, this is the next best thing that takes some balls.....wonder how many westerners have been to this place, it is the kind of place where I would imagine they grill bear meat, spit freezes in their beards, and vodka is swigged down straight from the bottle!

Back