Racal Remains, Seaton, Devon - Aug 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Travelling on a bus journey last week, I happened to put my camera on the seat next to me for a minute when the bus driver braked suddenly on a steep hill. I went hurtling into the back of the seat in front and my camera went flying halfway down the bus, landing with a huge clunk. Ouch! Anyway, having checked it over, it seemed okay but I decided to run a roll of film through it to make sure, before using it for an awayday explore.
I had the opportunity to get onto the demolished Racal site, which was actually quite interesting. Apart from two huge piles of brick and rubble, there were also a few things remaining...the bike shelter, an oil storage tank, some benches and three bird feeders left in the trees. :mrgreen:

racalremains01.jpg

racalremains02.jpg

racalremains03.jpg

racalremains04.jpg

racalremains05.jpg

racalremains08.jpg

racalremains09.jpg

racalremains11.jpg

The last few things left remaining.

racalremains12crop.jpg

racalremains13.jpg

racalremains16.jpg

racalremains15.jpg

Cheers :)

Wow! Great photo's Foxy. Those benches look forlorn, beside a river that no one will enjoy. You have captured the desolation of Racal very well.

Thanks, Neo. :) Hopefully there'll be public access along the river bank once redeveloped, but it does look rather sad at the minute. I'm just hoping that they'll keep the trees!

Great photos as ever Foxylady! Do you know what sort of stuff they did there - manufacture, testing etc? (Aaargh, I can feel the communications nerd seeping out from under my skin! There is a normal bloke in here as well somewhere......)

GDZ:mrgreen:

Cheers guys. It was more embarrassment than anything. I'd become velcro'd to the seat in front by force of gravity and it took me a while to extricate myself. Funny now, but I felt a right fool at the time! :mrgreen:

Do you know what sort of stuff they did there - manufacture, testing etc?

I don't recall the specifics offhand, but they did make and test communications equipment, mainly for the MOD.

Latest posts

Back