Raf Elmdon BHQ

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jindivik

Reaction score
This history from pastcape

A former World War two military airfield opened in 1939, now a civil airport. The airfield at Elmdon was used as an Elementary Flying Training School (for 51 Group) during World War Two. The wartime airfield had two intersecting concrete runways and was provided with a number of Blister and Bellman type aircraft hangars as well as utilising civillian hangars. By the 1980s the site had been redeveloped as Birmingham (Elmdon) Airport, and the airfield was extended to the north west. Some of the World war two defences survive, see SP 18 SE 15 and SP 18 SE 16. Wartime construction methods typically involved the use of "temporary materials" for many building types.
I took these images today 03/09/15
Situated just of the Coventry Road A 45 in the trees, it would of been the HQ for the airfield and surrounding areas to co-ordinate against any axis attack on the Airfield if the situation should arise,

DSC04649_zpswwclqa6c.png

DSC04648_zpsuyniwnyp.png

DSC04647_zps9drd9p24.png

DSC04646_zpsjawcdjqv.png

DSC04644_zpsbnpwy7j0.png

DSC04643_zpsoloeb2on.png
DSC04642_zpskid0o9wu.png
DSC04641_zpsbcbv3jgp.png

Regards Jindi

I think it's great these places are still out there. When I was a kid and T.V's about to be invented, I found loads of concrete stuff in the woods. Never gave it a thought, if I ever return to my birthplace and those woods I will do my best to find them and not take them for granted.

Nice post there......

Looks like the water level has gone down by a few feet since I went
Some time ago.

Cheers newage

Back